Diagnosis
08/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
McDonough
Well unfortunately the speculation is over and the unofficial diagnosis has now become official. I had another EMG today and was told I now officially meet all of the clinical criteria for ALS. My leg had already had 3 muscles in it that had shown dirty in the EMG so that was one region. Today my tricep, bicep and shoulder muscle all tested dirty so that was the second region and then my back EMG test was also dirty so that was the third region. With all of the normal MRI's, blood tests, no loss of sensation and evidence of both upper and lower UMN issues my Dr. said that it is absolutely ALS.

On 8/31 I see Dr. Glass at Emory for both confirmation and to see if I qualify for any trials and to meet with the rest of his staff at the ALS clinic. Obviously no one wants to receive this diagnosis as all of you know all too well. That being said I had already been told that this was what I most likely had and at least now with the diagnosis I will be able to qualify and receive whatever support I need down the road.

In the meantime I will continue to stay strong, keep the faith and live my life to the fullest every day! As many of you have said it it is not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years that matter! I have been blessed with a wonderful wife and 3 beautiful kids, I am going to make everyday with them count!

Last edited:
I wish I had the right thing to say. I dont. Im just sorry. Please keep that wonderful spirit of yours going! Its so inspiring.

Sorry, but at least now you know and can plan. I know that in't much of a consellation but I was happy to get my diagnosis because at least I knew what I had and the search could stop.

TedH5, I am sorry you have this particular diagnosis, although you are right about being able now to plan and qualify for the support. I hope the forum proves helpful to you, and you are in my prayers. Yes, you're right about the hidden treasures, and the ability to slow down and really appreciate the loved ones, nature, and all the little things which now seem so important.
Ann

Dreadful news, outstanding attitude. I wish you well.

Well, TedH5, that news just sucks!

I am encouraged by your attitude in all of this and believe you will be a help to many on this forum.

We are here for you!

Sorry about your luck Ted. Hope we can help you.

AL.

Sorry to hear that you've been initiated into our little fraternity. Anything I can do to help -- feel free to ask.

Ted, I love your attitude we share alike in that. We have kids to raise and spouses who love us dearly. I am looking forward to being home with my kids and family and friends. There is no place i would rather be. I am praying for you and your family.

God bless and comfort you all, Rox

Thanks for all of the support and prayers! You are all correct having a positive attitude and enjoying your family and friends and taking time to appreciate the little things in life that in the past we took for granted all of a sudden becomes a priority. It is odd that it takes news like this to put life into the proper perspective. Who knows what the future holds, but in the meantime I am the same person I was ysterday and am doing the same things today as I did the day before!

Once again I appreciate everyone's kind words, support and especially the prayers! I guess I now have a new extended family here on the forum! God Bless you all!

Yes, Ted, you're correct in that. Your family just grew tremendously. Prayers are going up for you and your family.
Blessings,
Ann

In there with you for the fight and the fun. much love, Irismarie

You and your family are in my prayers! If you want to talk I am here!
Loida

Ted, your positive attitude is inspiring. Thank you for sharing with us.

Raul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back