Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Wa
City
Lynnwood
Hi I'm 37 years old and my husband found out about a year ago that he has ALS, it is a very horrible thing to go through. He is almost 52 and we have an almost 2 year old son and he also has a 13 year old son. This is a very hard thing to deal with from the beginning and still at this time. He is not working and is on disability and I work full time night shifts in a local ER as an ER tech and we do 12 hour shifts. Anyone going through this is in my prayers.

kfrancis, I will find out my diagnosis tomorrow and we have a 13 year old and 11 year old sons at home. I am 50 y.o. How are your kids taking this. We have not talked about this at great lengths with our kids but are just giving them small amounts of info. as we go for now since I don't have my final diagnosis. Are you seeing the DR. at VM? Lord bless you all.
Rox

Kfrancis
So sorry about your husband. My wife was diagnosed in sept 07. Having two girls 19 and 22 I know first hand the effect this can have on them. My very best wishes to you and your family

Kfrancis, I'm sorry about your husband and the difficulties. It must seem overwhelming at times. Having young children would make for both joy and stress/worry. I'm glad you found the forum, however. I hope you will be helped here... lots of folks going through similar struggles. And your own input will be welcome!
Blessings,
Ann

I'm sorry to hear of your situation. That must be very hard having to work 12hour shifts with a small child and your husband on disability. Is he still able to help take care of you 2year old? Do you have helpers or babysitters who come in? Welcome to the forum, I hope we can help and support you.

kfrancis,

Very sorry about your husband. I hope you have some local support, especially with a 2 year old to care for.

KFrancis, There are so many people here to lend you support. I am so sorry you are going through this.

Hello -
Nice to meet you. I too work 12hr night shifts in the hospital. My husband is 37 and our girls our 6 and 3. Sometimes I feel like work days are actually days off!

Hello, kfrancis. I am praying for strength for you as you are a very special person to be working so hard and caring so much. I hope you find help and relief especially as time goes by and if the going gets even tougher

Hello i havent been on this site for a while. How did it go? Yes we go to VM please email me at my home email address I'm still trying to figure this blog stuff out my address is [email protected] if you would like to send me an email. Thanks Kelly

Thank you all for your feedback. Times have been hard I am angry alot. I try to see life from his point of view but it's so hard. I am trying to find a support group in my area that meets more than once a month. I am thinking this forum may help in supporting me a bit but Ive never joined a forum so it's new to me. I think my husband is getting weaker he can no longer help care for our son who will be turning 2 on Oct. 9th, we have to have people come in at night to put him to bed on the nights I work. I've also learned you really find out who is there for you and who's not. What a shocker to me, people I never thought would be there for me are and people I thought would be there for me are not. Crazy world it is. I keep wondering how I will make it without him in my life but I can't think of that right now everyone says one day at a time but that's easier said than done.

I am amazed every day by the people I never expected to have such an active role in our life. I am also stunned at the people I thought would be there in a crisis and are nowhere to be found.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back