Diagnosis
05/2007
Country
IRE
State
co.clare
City
kilkee
hi every one, have not being well and in hospital. have a small problem with heart and not enough pressure to pump blood around body. While in hospital had a terrible experience and only happened to me because I did not have a voice. Was brought to bath room for shower. When lifting me off chair to comode I slipt small bit and body went in to spasm and rigid. The nurses were shouting at me and sad was playing on my disability. Another nurse appeared and offered to help and was told every thing was fine.thank god body relaxed and was transfer to comode. Next I had bowel medicine forced in to me. Whilst this was going on was crying and shaking head that I did not want it. Then was showered. then nurse ask did I want my teeth washed and I shook my head and was crying and under stand I did not want teeth washed. She got tooth brush and paste and was trying to force tooth brush in to my mouth and in the mean time my head had fallen back and I now feared for my life and could not got head up. When I heard the nurse ask the student nurse attending her to bring a glass of water and she tried to pour water in to my mouth and I think only for spasm in my mouth that saved me from choking. The next thing I remember was paper being pushed in to my mouth and I presume was wiping tooth paste out.
came home on Tuesday and woke with terrible pain on Saturday night and had a very bad lung infection so some water or tooth paste had gone in to my lung doing my ordeal.

you are the first people I have told story so far to and have told family bits and pieces. I for got to mention nurse was shouting at me while this was going on to lift my head up and stop playing up. How ignorant she was to my disease. This nurse was crazy.

how am I feeling now.

l am in a lot of pain and on strong medicine and making me tired.
the spark of life has being taken from me.
all my energy has zaped up.
I am void of feelings.
I am not coping at all.

this would not happened if I had a voice.

Oh Mary, I am so very, very sorry. I hope and pray that you never ever experience anything like that again. My heart goes out to you. My husband is quickly losing his voice. I'll make sure he is never left alone if he has to enter the hospital. Thank you for being brave enough to share your story with us.

I am so sorry you had to endure that kind of treatment. That is awful. It makes me wonder how some people keep their jobs.

Hope you recover soon and never have to go back.

I am also very sorry that you had such an awful experience in the hospital. I hope you feel better soon. Your family should report this to the hospital administrators, and if you ever have to go back there, they better treat you like a queen!

Take care.

Dear Mary,

It breaks my heart that you were treated this way. I hope that the staff, by way of one of your family members will be "introduced to ALS" and what it does to us. You have (we all need this) to have someone who knows you with you in the hospital for your safety. Pam B above is right, this should be reported to the administrators.

Mary, you're in my prayers. I hope you recover from both the physical torture/illness now as well as the mental anguish.

Gentle hug,
Ann

Oh, I am so sad for you...I am in tears and can feel your pain. Mom had bad experiences in the nursing home and I had to YELL at a few people. I am soooooo very sorry that that happened to you. I wish I could help you. Do you have anyone who can be your voice? Prayers to you my friend.

i am so sorry, having no voice is so hard. i have a very hard time without a voice.

Mary,

That is awful! My heart really goes out to you. None of it should have happened, and I agree that this should be reported to the hospital administration.

There is nothing much worse (while in the hospital) than a mean uncaring nurse, and what you experienced goes way beyond that! Years ago, when my daughter was born, I had gotten pneumonia, so I was not allowed to go home and was there about a week. I'd arranged to keep my daughter in the room with me. I was breastfeeding the baby, and one nipple started bleeding, and to this DAY I still remember a nurse standing over me practically yelling that was I was going to make my baby sick, and what kind of mother would do that! I never knew if she was referring to the pneumonia (I wore a mask) or the bleeding nipples. I've never forgotten how awful she made me feel, and that was just minor to the point of being nothing compared to what you endured.

Really, let someone in your family know, so that follow up can be done as far as the nurse being made to understand how much of an uncaring and dangerous complete idiot she was.

I am so sorry to hear about the treatment you received.Tell your family & please have them report this.That nurse needs to lose her job. The hospitals need to start educating their nursing & aids staff about people with ALS,THEY HAVE KNOW IDEA.God Bless.
Sharon

Oh, Mary, I am so upset FOR you! I cannot hardly believe it. In the states it would be a fast speed trip into a lawsuit.
I hope you are prepared to have protection from something like that ever happening again. It really sickens me to think
how bad people can get away with inhumanity like that. You deserve kindness and love to the maximum, Dear. So glad
you are here to talk with us about it. Hugs.. to you and your caregivers.

This is so terrible, Mary. Yes, the hospital must be told. What about starting with your doctor?

Oh Mary...what an awful thing to go through! I hope you have someone who can get your experience documented and shared with the Administrator of the hospital. Such a terrible, terrible stress to have to endure.

Prayers for healing,

This nurse sounds like a sadistic, evil person! Obviously she knew you had no voice and therefore thought she could get away with anything! This sickens me to no end!

Mary, I hope to God you can get your family to advocate for you on this and report this despicable excuse for a human being!

I do hope you will get over the pneumonia quickly and that you will never have to endure such cruelty again! Isn't MND enough as it is?

Mary, it is awful how you were treated. Sometimes people like your nurse think that they know everything because they have been doing their jobs for so long when really they know nothing.

Someone does need to know about your experience so that she can receive training and some psychological help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back