Diagnosis
02/2010
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Bergen County
I generally know the rules and procedure but has anyone dealt with getting instituinonal
Medicade. Within that I am especially concerned with are the penalties incurred with "Look Back" period.

Several years ago I was able to make several large payments on my sons' school loans for which my wife and I are cosigners. We have been helping him pay since he first went to college nearly ten years ago.

Now that he has his Doctorate, one lawyer told us those loan payments (made in the last several years) will be held against me by Medicaid because they are considered gifts. My acceptance to Medicaid could be delayed according to some formula calculating the montly cost of the nursing home. If we don't have the money to pay privately during that penalty period we would have to borrow against the house or otherwide secure a loan.

As the burden of my care is rapidly increasing, I don't want to leave my wife impoverished. I don't think the VA will help outside the home.

The VA will take care of you. They offer in home nursing.

Also, unless you don't have work credits, you should qualify for SSDI and Medicare - not Medicaid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back