Diagnosis
06/2010
Country
US
State
NC
City
Wilmington
My husband loves the feeling of being in the ocean. The last two years when we have gone to the beach he has loved the sense of bouyancy he gets from the salt water. In all of our years of being married (30) he never really went in the ocean but since he has ALS/MND he has come to look forward to our times at the beach. Right now he has mostly upper body involvement and when he is in the ocean he feels that isn't struggling to hold himself up so much.

Just thought I'd pass this on to others.

Mary

That's great! Hope he can enjoy for some time to come! Just be careful of the diaphragm being affected with the pressure of the water, as that happened to my husband.

Mom has always loved the ocean too but now that she is on a vent she can not be in it. I did read of a place on Virginia Beach where a man just this year, opened a park for people in wheelchairs. He has ALS...I would love to take Mom there.

We just got back from the beach. We've had a place there all of our married life. Just be careful in the water. Like your husband, my husband's is in his upper body. My husbands "center" changed, and he would have drowned if I had not been right beside him!

Thanks everyone! The water was very shallow where we were but I can see how he could have had difficulty in deeper water. I was happy for him that he got enjoyment out of the experience.

Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back