09/2008
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Ajax
Hello,

My mother who has ALS would like to travel from Toronto to Windsor in order to meet some relatives, which is roughly a 4 hour drive.

She is adamant that she will be fine through the travel time and will not get tired (she has lost complete mobility and her neck tilts to the side). I would like to take her to see our relatives, but my father who is the primary care giver is advising against travelling for such a long period while sitting in her wheelchair or car seat.

I was thinking of either taking my car or even getting a wheelchair accessible vehicle to take her to down to Windsor.

As individuals with ALS or PALS, what's your take on this. Could you kindly suggest any methods / tips that can assist in making this travel possible.

Thanks,

Sohail

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I think you should go. A wheelchair accessible van would be best. The duration of the trip should not be a problem so don't be afraid to do it. If she wants to go, do it.

Also a simple neck support can be had at Shoppers Home Health Care to support her neck during the drive.

AL.

We just went down to Florida - 10 hour drive. It was fine. We were in a car (big - a Lincoln Towncar). Pillows made it comfortable. Unlike a normal trip, we had limited stopping which made it better.

My daughter drove our ramp van and I sat in the passenger seat for a trip last month to visit my son and grandchildren about 4-5 hours away. My problem is limited mobility and a very bad case of urinary urgency. When you can't walk and you have to go to the bathroom almost every half hour, travel is a *****. So we put a potty chair beside the powerchair and I got from the passenger seat to the potty even with the car was moving! We only had to stop one time for gas. It was great. I wasn't tired when we arrived. If your mom wants to visit her relatives, that's all that counts. You could do it in a regular car with a lightweight wheelchair in the trunk. If she doesn't have a problem with peeing all the time, it'll be a piece of cake. Enjoy yourselves!

Carol

carol- glad to hear you had a great trip!

FYI: When we were in Florida, we rented a beach wheelchair. It was fabulous!

All,

Thanks for your input. I have decided to take her to see the relatives this coming long weekend. As long as she or my daughter don't require a pit stop, I think it should be a smooth drive, hopefully. As reluctant as my father is, I think he is also onboard with the idea that if she wants to travel, then we should make it happen. I had him read your posts to put his worries about her comfort and tiredness to ease.

We have tried the neck support pillow with her in the past, but she doesn't like it. Depending on her comfort, a sleeping pillow behind her back might be a better alternative.

Once again, thanks for all the tips and support.

Cheers,

Sohail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back