Diagnosis
06/2010
Country
US
State
CO
City
Denver
I am a 40 yr old male; diagnosed with ALS last month (June 2010). I have had 3 EMG's (last in January, which was "dirty") and mutiple MRI's, blood work, etc. My original diagnosis was from Univ. of Colorado. Today I had a follow up appt by a neuro outside the Univ. of Colorado system. His conclusion was identical...ALS. Next step [locally] is to see a pulmonologist and start at the MDA clinic.

Based on discussions with someone I truly respect on this forum, I am considering going to Mayo for a third/final diagnosis [please don't tell me not to waste the time/money...this is something I need to do]. The Neuro I met with today suggested Wash U as an alternative. The physicians there are mostly Hopkins trained. Benefits to me are I have family in the area, an aunt that actually works in the Wash U med center, and the neuro I saw today will refer me and can get me in more quickly.

Has anyone been seen at Wash U? How was the experience?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

I've been seen at Wash U after having been referred by a local neuro for a 2nd opinion. My local doc suspected PLS which was quickly pooh-pooh'd by Wash U. Their reasoning for this was that it was just too early in the diagnostic process to lean in that direction.

By this time, I already had 1 emg/ncv, a brain mri and a lot of bloodwork. Wash U saw me 3 times, did their own emg/ncv with more bloodwork and wound up shrugging their shoulders. If they are not sold on something, they'll tell you.

Having said this, after seeing 2 more neuros, my diagnosis is still pending as a differential of PLS with a big question mark behind it. I suspect it will change to something like BFCS, PNH or maybe a pinched nerve that has alluded detection on my spinal mri's.

One very good thing about the staff at Wash U is that no matter what some other doctor has given as a diagnosis, they will not readily second it until they have done their own testing and are absolutely certain you meet the criteria. This has been my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back