Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
CA
City
Poway
Me and my wife got back yesterday from a wonderful vacation to Zion and the North Rim Grand Canyon National Parks and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised how accommodating they are to wheelchair access.

We flew into Las Vegas, which I was apprehensive about because it was my first air travel since being in a wheelchair, (all went well, the airport and airline took great care of me) where we met my Dad and Step Mom, they flew in from Palm Springs. From there we rented a mini van, I can get in the back seat with assistance lifting my legs, and drove to Kanab, a nice little town. The next day (Thursday) we drove to Zion where we learned that the National Park Service provides a FREE life time pass to anyone who is permanently disabled. Zion has a great bus service with lifts that takes you all around the park and make stops at 8 different location where you can get off and adventure to different areas of the park. There are a few cement paths so even those of us in chairs can do some exploring.

On Friday we drove to the North Rim Grand Canyon and although I could not go on any of the trails the views from the Lodge are spectacular. The lodge and cabin we stayed in are ADA compliant and the staff was more than accommodating in making sure my needs were met, they even offered to have someone push me around if needed.

I wasn't sure how the trip would go but it was so nice that we are now planning another trip for spring next year, I hope I'm still around, to see the National Parks in Northern California and Oregon.

I encourage you to get out there and see the beauty of the Parks, for even those of us in chairs can still do some exploring.

Jim

Thanks Jim!
I'm always interested in hearing of good accessible travel.

That is awsome...good for you. I am still waiting for wheelchairs that can go on the beach here in NY/NJ.

brilliant stuff. how i envy you
My grandson was there not so long ago helping to create/repair the park boundaries

LauraW,

They do make beach accessible wheelchairs. I know they are available for rental in Nags Head - would you like for me to check in the NY/NJ area? I would be more than happy to do some research for you.

Good to know. I'm going to yellowstone in September and didn't know about the lifetime pass. Where do you apply?
-Tom

Hi Tom,

Next time you go to a park, you can fill out an application and the pass is issued on the spot. You must present ID along with the pass when you use it at the entrance gate. It is also accepted at National Monuments, etc.

glad you enjoyed it

Tom, I got my pass at the entree gate at Zion, you just need your ID and it probably doesn't hurt to have your handicap parking placard.
Let me know how your trip goes, we are thinking of doing Yellowstone and the Tetons instead of No. Calif. so I would love to here about accessibility etc...

Have a great trip

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back