3/2010
Country
US
State
TX
City
houston
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to drop a line and tell everyone hello and stay strong. Thanks to everyone for all the advice and kind words. I have a few questions as I navigate this ALS process. I have been doing some research on benefits however I seem to be getting alot of different answers so some info will be much appreciated. I am beginning to get worried about my finances as my wife is about to have our baby shortly. Here is my situation:

I have not worked since June 2009. I have been a full time student since then. I filed for Social security benefits in may. Is the 6 month SSDI wait mandatory even if I haven't worked sine June 2009?

I am a U S Army Veteran. I filed for benefits in this month. I read that some people get 50%, 70%, and 100% but you have to refile or jump through many hoops.
If it was just me I wouldn't be so worried but a baby is coming and I have no income. What do pals do while we wait?

Thanks in advance

Take care

Lori (SadieMae) told me a bill had been passed to automatically rate a vet pALS at 100%. Don't know when that goes into affect.

As for SSDI, it seems to vary around the country, depending on when you were diagnosed and when you stopped working due to the diagnosed. Whatever date they determine, you will still have to wait 6 months for it to kick in.

Good luck to you and your family and thank you for serving our country!

Lori here, For SSDI, they look at DX date, and the money you made since DX. They call it SGA(Substantial Gainful Income) If you make less than 800 dollars a month, you can get SSDI. We were DX in 9-09, but PALS had not worked since 12-08, and doctors put the DX at 1-09, so after the 5 month waiting period we were eligible in 6-09. We filed in 9-09, and it was retroactive. Also, the VA is now rating everyone at 100%, instead of the 30% . If you have already filed, CALL or go in to your regional office. If your regional office is close by, go there, DO NOT mail anything. You do not want to become a "Brown Envelope" Do everything in person if possible. And every thing is possible. When my husband was first DX, we had no transportation, so we took the bus every where. It took us 5 hours to go to the social security office, and back home, but we did it, and we got things done. With the VA do it in person. We got out first check a month after filing, but we got it because we went out there 5 times in a 4 week period. Each time it took us 5 to 6 hours . If you need it bad enough, you will do what I suggest. HUGS Lori

Thanks Lori for the SSDI information I have read so many different opinions about when it should start.
You stated the VA is now rating everyone at 100% however my PVA rep just told me something different just this month. I am sorry to hear about all the traveling you had to do but I am glad you guys are taken care of now. Where can I read about the bill that was passed? Thanks again for all the info.

Thanks Brooksea...good luck to you also!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back