Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Naperville
My daughter told me today that she had gone to a CVS in Chicago and was paying for her purchases by credit card when she was "prompted" by the card machine, which asked whether she wanted to donate to ALS research. When my daughter went ahead and made a donation, she was asked to fill out one of those little cards, and put my dad's name on it. We mostly have Walgreens around here ( I'm in a suburb about 40 minutes from Chicago. ) but I think I can find some CVS's someplace. I want to see if more of the stores are doing this. Has anyone else noticed ALS fundraising in this way at a CVS? I think it's GREAT!

Debbie

Yep CVS is a real ALS supporter, I have spoke to the head of PR. and CVS has raised 19 million so far for ALS. Every June. They had a Vice President of the companies wife pass with ALS. This year one of the people they are highlighting, is a Vice President of CVS Real Estate Development who was DX. in March. I approach make it a point to tell everyone and anyone, and I mean EVERYONE about the CVS fundraiser.. Glad you brought it up...

i find any fund raiser for als research to be a wonderful thing .i live in upper michigan and never once seen a fundraiser for als maybe cancer but thats all .its really amazing to me to find so much money being donated for als research and no possible cure yet.that is a guestion in my mind on what really are they doing with the money .yes i have run across some nonprofit organizations for als to help with there needs ,medicine ect.and i know that they dont get nearly the amount of money the research team gets ,but shows promising results .there really is no need to argue the point we all have are own opinions on this .but to be aware how that money is spent should be opened for the public to reveiw thats my opinion

Yes, I was very surprised and impressed when I went out the checkout line and saw that they were fundraising for ALS...Not MDA but specifically ALS. I will continue to shop at CVS. I am now a very big fan!

I wonder whether CVS could be approached about giving a portion of the donations to ALSGA. ( So then some money could go directly to help people who aren't able to get the things they need to continue living with this disease. ) Does anyone know who the "big wigs" are that head this thing up?

Debbie

Yes I too was delighted to see that question pop up at our CVS. Unfortunately, the teller did not ask me, but I made sure to tell the 10 people behind me in line to PLEASE DONATE when it is their turn to pay as ALS needs more funding to reach a cure. Some people smiled, others stared at me with a blank unfriendly face. They have noooooooooo idea what our CALS/PALS are going through. Cancer gets so much attention and donations but ALS still, to some, a disease of "some baseball player from the 40's".

We will keep fighting the good fight!

Patty

Yep, love the blank stare.. People just care about cancer..So depressing...

Yes I was so pleased the other night on my way to care for my FIL I had to stop at a CVS and was asked if I want to donate I stated absolutely. I am thrilled and have told all of my friends to frequent the CVS nearest them and donate donate donate.

I was told by a lady I work with about the CVS fundraising. I had to stop at ours last night and when I checked out I used cash and the cashier didn't ask me if I wanted to donate. So I asked her about the fundraising, she said yes would I like to donate. Of course I said yes, then she said she didn't even know what ALS is. So I explained it to her and the 3 people in line behind me. I hope she asked everyoone after I left. Josie

I have been a faithful Walgreens customer for years but looks like I'll be switching to CVS. Thanks for the info!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back