Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
AU
State
VIC
City
Wodonga
Holidaying for a couple of nights in the Snowy Mountains my Favourite Wife and I are surrounded by trees, wonderful Australian trees, whose leaves hang down. And on our third alpine pilgrimage for the year we are hoping, once again, that it will snow!

Downward-hanging leaves are superb. I relish the sight of towering snow gums with their striking, variegated trunks and verdant leaves – all hanging down. To me it’s deeply satisfying, but to the English colonists this was deeply unsettling; so alienating, in fact, that their earliest artists sometimes painted gum leaves growing upwards from stem and branch. I wonder if it was merely artistic licence; or was it, perhaps, a subconscious reaction to a strange and fearful world? Did they actually see our leaves at all? Sight can be a most unreliable sense! The world we see, or think we see, is not always the true world at all.

A week has now passed since the neurology appointment that indicated some form of motor neruone disease. (How I hate typing that phrase. I still find it difficult to get my fingers, my mouth, or my head around it). It’s exactly a year since exactly the same thing happened in exactly the same doctor’s rooms; and yet in spite of the months of uncertaincy life is richer than ever. I don’t think I am naive about the future, and I can see all too clearly the physical evidence of my predicament. For example B3 (our second power wheelchair and the third incarnation of good old Bugger, my first manual chair) was delivered this week, and she’s surely something to feast your eyes on! But it is not what my eyes see that demands my attention; at least not those eyes. With some other ‘inner eye’ I have seen a clarity of being that I find irresistable.

Perhaps we see this world ‘through a glass dimly’ at best; and yet I have a sense that the glass is clearing a little. With so much that ought to anchor me in the visible world, I often glimpse something new beyond the bounds of normal sight: the sheer delight and pristine calmness of simple existence.

I remember another episode that also included a doctor and a diagnosis. Several years ago I went to a GP for some reason or other, and happened to mention that I had a painful knuckle. The doctor gave my right hand the briefest, cursory glance without even turning round in his chair and immediately pronounced it to be arthritis. I was incensed! At barely 40 how could I possibly have arthritis? I protested voluably, but the doctor said he could prove it was arthritis by a simple test: he would squeeze the knuckle in a certain way, and it would hurt like hell. Which he did, and which it also did. He was an Indian man and a Christian, and in a rather brusque way dismissed my self-pittying protestations. “Tell me, did you think you were going to live forever?” he chided with a stern, sideways shake of his head. Miraculously the ‘arthritis’ lasted just a year or two, but in the trifling annoyance I briefly tasted my own mortality and even saw the distant possibility of ressurection! Perhaps that sounds silly, but truly there was a strange joy in that mild pain.

There is, however, one time of day when blindness can obscure the path. The night watch is by far the hardest and ’round 3am I sometimes loose my way. My inner eyes that in the light of day see past the substance of things, in darkness focus instead on the insubstantial terrors of so-called reality.

For three weeks we have been looking at the alpine weather forecast every day, and right now (at 3am!) it still promises snow for tomorrow. We are holding our breath, barely able to contain our excitement about the future. Will it snow in the morning?

Rejoice!

And, Roderick, did you find snow that next day? I hope you're currently sound asleep... and remain asleep during the night watch. I'm praying for that right now.
Ann

The next day was extraordinary.

There was snow forecast at the village where we had been staying, and all through the night we were looking out the window for a sign of a fall - but nothing! We packed and left a little dissapointed, as we have never lived near the snow and my wife had only seen it twice and never been in falling snow. On our way through Thredbo - a ski resort on our drive home - Karen saw the ski lift running and was keen to go and check it out. She came back to the car adamant that she was going no where near it: it was a 600m lift and she is scared of all that sort of thing, it was expensive, and it was raining. I agreed, trying not to show any dissapointment, and we left. about 5 minutes further down the road Karen decided she wasnt going to give in, and back we went. It was clear at the bottom of the hill, but a white-out towards the top and snowy, windy and freezing on the summit. there is a restaurant at the top, claiming to be the highest in Australia, and we stayed up there a long while drinking tea and playing in the snow. The lift people were so helpful (as people almost universally are I find), stopping the cable so my wheel chair could be secured next to us. It was a marvelous time, so rewarding and we are still talking about the thrill of it. It turns out that we were there within a hours of the first snow fall for the season, so we felt privilaged and more than that felt that it was a moment ordained for us from the Almighty!

Thanks for your 3am prayers! And thank you for telling me a little about yourself and your experience. I dont think I could write those things about my condition at this point. I struggle to even write the word 'condition'!

R.

We used to live in Prince George, British Columbia. It is exactly in the middle of the province. Anyway, we had an average snow fall of 12 feet. (365.76cm}. We loved it, and miss it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back