Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
NV
City
Reno
Hi all! We have a Neuro visit coming up this week. I would like input on any meds you have used for fatigue, and for sleeping problems. A drug I am considering is Nuvigil, for fatigue.Anyone besides Bulbears father taking this? Also, am going to ask about a sleeping med. Ambien? We recently went on Nuerontin(generic) Baclofen dose is at 40mg a day, has been for 6 months. Amytriptiline is at 30mg a day. Do PALS build up tolerance to these meds where they need to be upped? Thanks and HUGS Lori

Ambien was prescribed for my husband. He rarely needs it, though. He takes Baclofen - 20 to 30mg per day. I would love to know if there is something for the fatigue.

Look up Nuvigil generic is armodafinil. HUGS Lori (Post # 499 for me!)

Well, you need to just make one more then. I'm heading to Walmart. I'll give you a call in about 20 minutes.

Lori, waiting for our newest "Senior Member"

I take Provigil, and it works great for me. I hadn't really been living for months.

For fatigue, #1 help is a correctly fitting bi-pap mask, so I will actually wear it! Even though I only wear it at night, or for naps, the carryover effect for my waking hours makes a huge difference.

I've had problems finding sleep meds that Medicare will actually cover. Back when I was working weird hours with international travel, I took Ambien CR, and it was great for me (I know there are stories of wild/weird behaviour out there, but it did what it was supposed to do, for me) However, regular Ambien, which medicare does cover, only works for about 4 hours, then I'm wide awake again. I too have clinic this week coming up, and am trying, again, to get a scrip for something which works!

I've used 50 mg. amitriptylene for over 12 years without needing the dosage changed. It helps with staying asleep. Diane, Ambien CR didn't work more than four hours for me. I was given samples of that, and was to then get a prescription for generic Ambien. I went back to amitriptylene instead, and it's inexpensive. I realize not all situations are compatible with amitriptylene (boy, Elavil sure was easier to spell).

Ann,

I have clinic in a couple of days, have the spelling written down to ask about. I asked last time, and they thought I should try Mirtazapine ( Remeron, Avanza, Zispin,)instead, It did nothing to help me sleep.

Baclofen does help me sleep, but I'd swear it makes me weaker, so I quit taking it.

The amytriptiline is a one drug for many uses drug. Drys up the mouth, mild antidepressant, pain reliever, and sleep aid. I think the main reason it was prescribed for us was for EL. HUGS Lori

It also dries up the bladder overnight... especially if you don't drink anything in the evening. I haven't needed to get up during the night other than during last November when I went through the trial of testing out the women's urinal and nearly landed in the ER. That's when my primary care doc took me off amitriptylene, as I then no longer could void. The drug wasn't ever my problem, however, and I've been fine ever since.

My non scientific survey is that doctors often want to prescribe newer drugs and resist amitriptylene as a sleep aid. I had to switch doctors after learning by using Phil's supply that for me, it was wonderful. My next doctor readily prescribed it. I believe I began with 25 mg, then had a 10 mg prescription to "add on" until it worked well. Phil only ever needed 25 mg.

Some people feel weak all day or groggy. That's how Phil was only in the very beginning, whereas I was good to go from day one.

Lori and Diane, I hope either it or something else is found for you asap. Not sleeping is torture.

Well, with fibromyalgia I have sleep problems anyway, plus restless leg. So, the combo I take is Zanaflex, (tizanadine generic) which also dries the mouth and bladder and it is the only thing that has helped me with restless legs, (it is a muscle relaxer) plus an ambien, plus a xanax because the xanax will last the full 8 hours, otherwise I will wake up after 4 as well.
Hugs, Kari

For sleeping and depression, two drugs: Trazodone and Mirtazepine Anybody have any input? HUGS Lori

My PALS took Rozerem as a sleep aid until we began crushing meds for tube. It worked well for him. Good luck!

I tried Mirtazepine. It (I believe) increases melatonin in the brain as its action. It is primarily used as an antidepressant. It also increases appetite. It is affordable. It did not help me sleep. Nothing bad in the way of reactions to it, just didn't help with my sleep. Perhaps I did not give it long enough.

I had clinic this week, and we are now trying Doxepin. (Ann, she did not think the amytriptiline was a good fit for me, as I have dry mouth anyway) They want me to give another go at Baclofin. It also can help with sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back