CALS
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Lincroft
Hi,
Does anyone have any advice for me, I believe my mother has a granuloma and possibly an infection at her peg site. I'm trying to get her to the doctor, (she doesn't want to leave the house) she has had the tube in since mid-March and all has been fine. I clean the site with water & change T-sponge 1-2x per day, she has a bit of discharge now and a yucky looking red tictac shaped lump coming out of the stoma.
Oh boy, the good times never end...LOL

Hi Terri. Sorry to read that your mom has granulation tissue around her peg site. I'm a retired nurse, but years ago I did work with an enterostomal therapist and her big trick was mixing Maalox and desitin ointment and applying around stomas that were granulating. From reading here, many have similar problems and have tried various things without real success i.e. silver nitrate sticks, antibiotic creams etc. I think that you may find the Maalox and desitin will at least be soothing. I have horses and we call the granulation proud flesh. I've had great luck with proud flesh by using very diluted tee tree oil drops(I dilute the tee tree in almond oil)--applying it three times a day. Other horsie friends swear by Preparation H. I can't recommend the Preparation H as I would run that one by your GP first, but obviously it shrinks hemmorhoids so maybe there is something too it <g>. So you have an enterostomal therapist secret, and my horse secret--I suspect you may opt for the enterostomal therapists method. Good luck. That granulation tissue and oozing can be miserable.
Laurel

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on the enternet. Granulation is normal. I pick mine, and feed it to the dog (joking), I have a small bump on mine too its about the size of half a tictac. It never has caused trouble. They pull a round tube through a scalpal slit, so I think it is just bunched up skin, and it is redish looking. She can expect small amounts of blood for a few months after the surgery. They say the wound doesn't really heal. Not like a piercing anyway. Does the discharge look anything like formula? (hint). When in doubt, check it out. Can you contact your ALSA nurse? I would just keep a eye on her temperature, and redness around the site. I don't know what they told you, but the bandage should have been gone a long time ago! That could be the problem if she has the same "peg" as the rest of us. It needs to be kept dry as much as possible. This is just one mans opinion, so make a call if you think theres a problem. Good luck!

:!:l use cortezone cream at night with a bandage and in the morning clean with saline. Works great

I am still having problems with mine also. I have tried just about everything..mine is like a big red bubble and it does bleed some.. I guess I will go back to the gp again this week. They took cultures and said it isn't infected so what to do? Don't know the answer..Linda

i still get a little sore on the left side of mine some times my tube gets stuck where i cant get fluids down it .when im alone im in real trouble cuzz i cant pressure flush it its to hard to do for me .ive tried using coke a cola someone said that works it has but any body have any suggestions thanks

Jeff, what is getting stuck and are you flushing with water before and after your feeds? I have never had a clog in almost a year and a half so I can't give you any suggestions other than to make sure you flush well.

Which tube do you have Jeff? If mine plugs, I just pinch the clamp open a little bit, and it goes on through. I got a hotdog stuck in it the other day! lol

We use saline solution around the proud flesh. Hubby's had his PEG for just over a year and loving it. It took quite a while to get comfortable with PEG and get her trained.

Phil, what are you smoking? You are exceptionally ornery today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back