Diagnosis
5/2008
Country
US
State
Ga
City
Snellville
When you suction? I have a problem area that I could reach with the thing on the end, but not sure if its safe..:razz:

Phil, I must say you do have a way with thread titles! Because of my unclean mind you had me thinking of all kinds of things :-D:-D .............but to get back to your question, I use the Yankauer end and have managed to get it to about the area of my uvula to get a hold of some goo. I am gagging less now and between the suction and my toothbrush to grab stuff and my Waterpik to flush the stuff loose I am able to clear out my throat.

It takes me at least half an hour to get my mouth ready for bed now, sure a change from a guy who a few years ago would more or less sort of brush my teeth for a minute and fall into bed.

What do you have to lose besides your lunch?

Vomiting is NOT a fun thing at any time and when you are a bulbarian it is down right dangerous because we have no control of what goes where. The last time I did I was really close to aspirating and was really worried but I was ok.

Ya gotta be careful!

Holy Sheet Batman .... what a title.

Our RN taught us to mark the long tube with a sharpie . If you hold it at the mark, when your fingers touch the lips, you can not go further. She had a way to measure from the front of your teeth , down to where your (flap that protects your lungs from aspirations ) . Sure , it will makes you gag , but its quick to grab the monkey snot, saliva, whatever caught in your throat.
It gets a little easier with practice.

Glen

I'm not a Doctor, I just play one on TV. Is the uvula the thingy that hangs down in the back of your mouth? My icky spot is past that a little ways. I guess it is just before the nasal passage. My machine is pretty strong, and I just want to make sure I can't bust a vessel, or something.

Yeah that is the uvula. The suction ends have a hole in the side that you have to cover to get any suction and they also have holes at the side at the very end so that the suction doesn't damage anything. So it is unlikely that you will hurt anything with the suction action but you can do damage with the wand end itself so be careful.

hey barry my mind went there to im like oh my god .but anyway barry i have bulbar and i didnt knoe throwing up could cause me to aspirate well thanks now i know im not having that trouble yet with inside my mouth even though the muscles are very weak , well it r4ally sounds like you have to be very careful doing it .well good luck barry and phil your in my prayers

Throwing up can be very bad news! Avoid it like the plague!

I cant answer this question, as my dad is not that bad yet, but I must say, the title of this thread caught my eye! hahahahaha
Hugs, Kari

I am a repiratory therapist and just a little warning here with really high suction pressure above -120 you can do damage to the soft tissues of the oralpharyngeal area which is that area past the uvula. The glottis which is the flap that closes of the lungs when swalowing is atrophied and weak with ALS and futher damage may make matters worse which is why I am sure the RN mad a mark on your catheter, so you would not fully reach that area. Eating and vomiting with Bulbar ALS particularly can both cause aspiration, so everyone out there be careful and take care. Dad is also having trouble with secretions and eating so I am dealing with the problem on the home front his diagnosis was confirmed 1/2010.

Kari...I'm with you! The title definitely triggered some unclean thoughts! Tells you where my mind is!:razz:
I wish I could help with this one but my mom hasn't gotten to this stage yet. However, I believe it's coming quicker than I want it to, so it's go for me to know some of the issues.

When the speech therapist in hospital was exploring my mouth, she pressed on a point in the roof near the back which is apparently a reflex point. Needlessly to say I over hyper-reacted and she was shocked. I explained the hyper reflex action is part of the malady. She replied "thank Heaven I touched that one first. The next reflex was going to be the vomiting one"!

Irismarie, why was the speech therapist exploring your mouth? Was she looking for something in particular? Forgive my ignorance, but I'm trying to learn. My mom has always had a super sensitive gag reflex - just wondering if I need to warn her of things that may happen to her.

Oh you men- you're all the same. All you can think of is sex, at any age or illness. Well if it keeps you healthy but don't choke on anything!
Yes we women can be just as bad- Karin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back