Diagnosis
10/2009
Country
US
State
Georgia
City
Peachland
All of a sudden it is like someone turned on the saliva faucets! I have to carry around a cup to spit in like a BUBBA spitting chewing tobacco!

Can anyone tell me what I need to do...I went to the doctor today and he didn't know of a med that would help me.

PLEASE HELP ME!

chef

Atropine drops! They are prescription eye drops that you apply under the tongue. They have helped my husband tremendously! These were prescribed by Dr. Kahn at Emory.

the dr wanted to give me an atropine patch but I am allergic to patches..the stuff that sticks them on. But he was right on the atropine...thanks

chef

chef-

Just for the record, there are no dumb questions!
I'll bet there are many people who have the same issues, but were afraid to ask. You (and CJ) have just helped them!

Robinul. aka Glycopyrrlate (sp)

I was reading about Robinul...how does that work for you. Any side effects?
chef

No side effects, just some pain while urinating sometimes. It is very brief though. It helps a lot! and is more effective if you brush, and clean mouth on a regular basis. Well worth it. Your doctor should call it in for ya no problem.

I just want to add that my husband believes that the Atropine has helped his cramping issues, as well as the saliva problem.

i will take these two suggestions into consideration when I talk to my doctor. I dont' know how long I can stand this! I might as well get me a bag of Red Man and start chewing! LOL

chef

Chef,
CJ gave you an excellent advice on Atropine... You also might consider Botox injection in salivary glands.
I heard it works very well for some PALS.
Erica

Snuff is better! Plus you can save the jars and use them! LOL My sweet MeMe used to dip snuff. It would always be seeping out the corners of her mouth! We used to drink tea out of the jars when the snuff was gone, or she and PaPa used the jars as spittoons! Ugh! :shock:

snuffg.jpg
Her brand of choice...

My grandma dipped but she used Rosebud...
chef

I wrote the nurse down at Mayo and they suggested Levsin or Bentyl....I read about these drugs and they seem to have so many side effects. Have any of yall tried these meds?
chef

Chef, both drug contains atropine. Levsin is very safe, but I suggest for you to go with CJ suggestion and use atropine drops. I think you'll see much less side effect from that route.

Thanks Erica...the nurse wrote me back and said that is the last rx they would write. But, if it works, it works....Gonna see the new ALS clinic in Macon Friday and see what they say. maybe I can get an rx from them.

chef

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back