11/2008
Country
UK
State
UK
City
Bolton
Hi everyone,

My partner has been complaining of a rubber ring feeling in his abdomen, a sort of tightness. Has anyone experienced this, and is it related to abdominal muscles or diaphragm? He has no difficulties breathing, even when lying down but has been worried about this symptom. I must add that he has put on some weight, and has developed a bit of a belly :D so I hope this is the cause.

Thanks, Dani

Hi The belly being big is a real symptom of ALS, the muscles loosening up. We started experiencing this a couple yrs before DX. Just last week he said his belly "feels different" like the food is sitting whole inside the tummy. Also just in the last week, stretch marks have begun to appear. HUGS Lori

Hi Dani,
I developed the same "fullness", rubber ring feeling around my rib cage a couple of weeks ago.
Even if I eat a very tiny portion, it feels like I have an inflated ballon around my mid section.
I have my clinic appt on June 22nd, so will see.
Erica.

Thanks both for your responses. I read them to L but he reckons it is more like 'pulling' than fullness...who knows...I think one notices every little twinge once diagnosed with this condition. I'll keep you posted with any news following his regular check up. Take care, D

Danijela, my husband occasionally complains that his diaphragm is being "squeezed." I always fear those words, because I think he may have aspirated and developed pneumonia. I think it has to do with the diaphragm muscles deteriorating. Don't know if that's the case for y'all.

Last time we were at the gastro and the pulmo, I asked if he would now if he has aspirated something, and they said YES he would know. I worry every time he chokes on food.

Just a quick update on this. My partner's FVC is still within normal range, so this feeling of tightness was most likely to be related to weakening abdominal muscles. His SNIP results are terrible, according to those he has got 3 months left to live and should be on a vent. I'll find another thread on SNIPS, MIP, MEP etc and post there, as I think they are not performing this test correctly.

Dani

Oh Dani, I'm sorry you're having this concern to deal with. I have had the "rubber ring feeling" from time to time, which is a tightness. I had an fvc of 93% in May, next clinic is in September. That tightness in the ribcage was coming infrequently well before May, meaning my breathing was not the issue. I think it may be some form of cramping, but is odd feeling as it's in an area we're not used to having cramp.

Ann

This is interesting. i had all my fluid removed from my lap band yesterday which is around the top part of the stomach.Both neuro dr and surgeon do not think it needs to surgically come out. But reading about this sensation should be interesting if I get that happening to me in the future.

Rox

Dear Ann,

yes, it is a concern, but we have now written to L's regular neuro to see if he can shed some light. You are right when you describe it as cramping, L has used similar words to describe it. Hope your clinic appointment in September goes well, and that your FVC remains in the healthy range.

Rox, I do not know what a lap band is, sorry. Dani

hi danijela.
i have had similar problems since oct last year.
my gp sent me for some scans to check for hernias(because my torso muscles are weak)also to check organs.........everything was ok.
they did say about a gastroendoscopey but i declined that.
my gp gave me some gastric spasm meds that help when i get the tight/cramping pain there called "buscopan"...........dont know if they would help him.
take care.caroline

Thanks Caroline, will pass the info to Laurence.

Dani

Dani, The lap band is for weight loss. I had it put in in 2005. It is a plastic band with a rubber inner circle that goes around the upper portion of the stomach. It allows food to go through into the large part of the stomach at a slower rate, which makes you feel full longer, and only allows you to eat small portions at a time. Probably more info. then you wanted but that's about it in a nut shell. It is now empty of Saline so I can eat normally again.

I am sure that the muscles in my abdomen are spasming. I feel a tightening and releasing, like contractions. This has been going on for about 6 weeks. When I feel it in my abdomen I also feel it in the side of my core, almost at my back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back