Diagnosis
04/2009
Country
US
State
pa
City
Zelienople
I never had long nails but once diagnosed with als they had a chance to grow. I always liked pink and rose colored nails and it was something I could do for myself. However 6 months ago my nails had ridges and looked wavey and my inability to use my right properly had made the nail job look sloppy, so I gave it up! I have a funraiser today so last night I decided to try to polish them. My hand was steady, the nails look awesome, barley a mark on my nail surface. Very grateful today! Is my ceftriaxone doing this, this is a precious moment.

Judy

Way cool Judy! I love pink fingers and toesies! Glad you are in the pink today ;) Mary

One of the benefits of ALS is my nails are growing and look better than ever. Reason is not the ALS, reason is I am no longer able to do all the things I did with my nails before! No longer open soda cans with the nails, breaking them.... No longer clean out the crevices around the sinks with my nails, chipping them ....... No longer scrape the dirty dishes or pans of crusted food with my nails resulting in straining them .......... Is this thinking warped or what? :)

Judy so glad you are off to an event where you can show off those gorgeous nails. Enjoy the day! Diane

Oh Judy, you go girl with those beautiful nails!
Diane, I am so proud of you girl! What your long nails to me means you are not overdoing...whew, so glad to hear that.. and NO, not warped thinking at all, its seeing the positive through the negative keep up that attitude!
Hugs! Kari
PS, My nails are just the worst! My one luxury item each month is going in and paying the 20.00 to get short fake nails on. White tips, with silver thin line of sparkles in the middle. I dont deviate from that, but the toes? I go crazy with the colors on those!

Judy and the rest of the women,
Do you have a Nail Salon where you live? My darling DIL treated me to a pedicure last year when I sprained both of my ankles at the same time and it was absolute heaven and I went for HOT PINK! Judy, I say you make an appt to have a mani and pedi every month :] If we lived in close physical proximity we could have a "girls night" and do facials, mani's and pedi's and just lounge around in our pj's eating decadent chocolates and drinking wine. :] xo

That's amazing that your hands are steadier! It would be great to think the Cef is doing it. I am hoping to start it soon, maybe in June. Hope you continue to feel well.

Oh that would be so nice to have someone come to the house and do it, but thats not going to happen around here. There are nail salons on every street corner full of Asians of course. The one I go to is nice, and they do play really relaxing music... I love it when I get a the hand massage with it, makes me want to melt in the chair! But, with me I am always in a hurry and want to get it over with for the most part. I should just slow down and try and enjoy things more!
Hugs, Kari

Oh Hal, I thought for sure you were going to tell us what color you had painted your toenails! lolol Or maybe that you wanted to come to our Girl's Overnight Party! wink wink

Hal,

Attend.

Think of it as "Getting in touch with their feminine um ... side , no .. parts"

Ahhh , friends with benefits.

:twisted:

Glen Darling, ohhhh! Will you come? We would love to groom you, wax you and paint you! xo Barry? Peter? Dick? Jay? lolol the list could be endless :] Judy, sorry to hijack the thread but you know "Girls just wanna have FUN"!

Now if all those good looking guys show up I AM THERE! hehe

We are lucky here - The daughter of a friend from church is a manicurist. After she had a baby, she decided her calling was to do mani/pedi as house calls for people who can't get out to a salon. So, I was able to get Marty on a scheduled for monthly mani/pedi at home. She keeps it pretty low profile - I didn't even know that's what she was doing until Marty got diagnosed and her mother called to tell us. I think it's a blessing

Somehow, I just don't think the waxing would be as fun to receive as it is to do. :)

On a serious note, our personal nurse gave Liz manicures and pedicures every week. They went through quite an assortment of different color nail polishes. I know it did wonders for Liz's mental state to be pampered like that.

You know, it is the little things. Something I've been wanting to do more regularly but finding time is so hard. I get one pedicure each year in the spring. Never get manicure b/c my hands are in water so much it does not even last 24 hrs. (I am a bit OCD when it comes to washing my hands). But I paint my own toes.

Dick, how lovely for Liz that she had this teensy, weensy, luxury. You are right, how uplifting something so simple can be.

Guys, take note, manicures and pedicures are not just for the ladies. If you wear flip flops or sandals in the summertime you may want to consider it :)

I think people would look at me in a somewhat different light if I started wearing pink nail polish on my toes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back