Reason
Loved one DX
Country
ca
State
new brunswick
City
sussex
My dad is experiencing quite a lot of pain, sometimes its generalized, other times it is specifically in his wrists, and arms and just lately he has been experiencing pain in his heel. he was taking gabapentin for the pain, and aftering increasing it, and then decreasing it( all under Dr's orders and over the last year) to manage the dry mouth that it seemed to cause, he hasnt noticed any great change in his control. he is being switched to Lyrica and I was wondering if anyone has used this and if they found it helpful

ALS is supposed to be painless, but thats not my experience! Just about every inch of my body hurts! My muscles stay sore, my joints hurt, and the places I have atrophy hurts to the touch! My Dr has been real good about treating my pain. The only problem is I build a tolerance to the pain meds. I'm at the point were I don't want to take anything stronger than what I'm taking now. If I was to have any kind of surgery now. Chances are whatever they give me for pain will probably not work for me.

Sorry, I can't help you, except to say we sometimes use one of those things you heat up in the microwave to place on really painful areas. We also do the range of motion exercises (or try to).

Thanks for the replies. dad was told also that there wasn't much pain with ALS but like you Phil, that hasnt been his experience. He is also trying his wrists splints again to see if they help. We are hopeful that this new med will help. My dad is not one to complain so when he admits he is having pain, its significant.
Brooksea, dad does ROM exercises as well ( or I should say, has assistance to do the exercises), but I am not sure if they help with the pain or just help tp prevent it from worsening

You are right. They don't help with pain. It is a precaution to prevent frozen joints.

Inactivity will cause swelling in ALS patients due to lack of movement of legs and deterioration of muscle. Muscles push the blood back up. No muscle no pumping back up and you get pooling and swelling. I use a system called Ready Wraps which take the place of pressure stockings. They work quite well.

AL

What are the ready wraps Al? I am picturing something along the lines of an ace banadage that is wrapped up the leg. Sounds interesting and something that might be usefull for dad. I will do some research and see whats involved, thanks for the suggestion. I have found , with other folks, that the pressure stockings can be a bit uncomftable if worn for a longe period of time, plus they can a challenge to fit properly and put on.
I was just talking with my dad and he was started on the Lyrica today, so we will see how that goes.
Susan

The Ready Wraps have a neoprene back and velcro closers on the front. The OT adjusts the back for you and then you just use the velcro tabs on the front. There is a foot section and a leg section. You can see them here.
Solaris Products > ReadyWrap

AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back