Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
Missouri
City
Springfield
I know I've mentioned this before but I can't help but think this odd reflex I have could be a key in figuring out what the heck is going on in my body.

My last neuro appt was my first with neuro #4. He kept tapping my knee, marveling and commenting on such a brisk reflex. Arms pretty much the same, ankle reflexes normal.

Anyway, I tune pianos for a living (as many already know) and every day I notice this odd reflex. I strike the piano key with my left index finger and there is a bobble reflex in my throat with my adam's apple. It is mildly annoying but I know of no other tuners that have noticed this.

Somewhere, out there, there has to be a neurologist that has seen this before; if not with a piano tuner, perhaps with a pianist. Maybe this neuro could tell me, "Oh yeah! I've seen this before and the person wound up having a pimple (okay, a mole) near a particular nerve."

Just a thought...

(I'm off to search for pimples and moles!)

Last edited:
Add "cyst" to your search, Zaphoon. The Baker's cyst I was hoping to have behind my knee may have a cousin near your nerve.

Okay, adding cyst! Any particular color or shape?

Shucks, I'm going to be busy for a while...

HI, dear Zaph. The only thing I noticed playing the piano was that for a LONG time I was unable to do repeat notes fast. Must have been one of the first symptoms but of course how could I know? You are right to search for reasons
Love

Ever since I was a boy I've noticed that certain tones make muscles in my ears contract. I can feel this involuntary contraction when the tones happen. It's like my ear is trying to protect itself from loud noises. I don't know whether everyone has this. I wonder if your throat contraction might be related?

Hyper reflex is just a ALS symptom. Mine are crazy! I can touch my leg with one finger, and kick a hole through the wall! :)

Phil, when the doc tests my leg reflexes I tell him to protect the "family jewels" because the slightest tap and my legs swing up as high as my head. :)

Phil,

I disavow having PLS despite the reflexes. I have a pinched nerve that has yet to be discovered. This is also what is causing my stiffness, cramping and spasms.

If the nerve isn't pinched, it probably has a cyst on it and I have Ann to thank for that idea.

I see a pimple in an odd spot as we speak...

Thank you, Zaphoon. I'm in awe of your wisdom. And, I'm feeling quite famous, as well as humble. I also am expecting any day to learn I have a cyst problem compounded by a pinched nerve in my right forefinger... which the dumb doctor said was common osteoarthritis. What do they know?
When the cyst is found and removed, my reflexes will return to normal.

Hyper reflex is just a ALS symptom. Mine are crazy! I can touch my leg with one finger, and kick a hole through the wall! :)

On the line of hyper reflex...I often have to wake my husband up so I can get him breakfast before I leave for work. I have learned not to touch his legs (even the lightest touch) causes the reflex followed by major cramping. At least the cramping gets him out of bed because the only way to stop it is to try standing.

Nice play on words Kim!

This Odd Reflex Has Got To Be A "KEY"

Speaking of hyper-reflexes: I went to the neuro once with slide sandals on . . . when he tested my reflexes I kicked so hard my shoe flew off!

Yep! The doc got a real "kick" out of my reflexes, too!

CJ,

I was wondering if anyone was going to pick up on that word play. Good job!

Last edited:
OMG I MISSED THAT; Shame , shame, shame. It is because of the cyst on my abscess that is affecting my brain reflex. Well done, brooksea. Were you the first?

And here I thought that you were doing a Billy Ray Cyrus "A Key Breaky Heart" cover. Anyone remember Billy Ray as more (or less) than Miley's daddy?

I know, it is late and I should be asleep and resting my achy breaky body instead of making silly posts. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back