Diagnosis
5/2008
Country
US
State
Ga
City
Snellville
I have the hardest time sleeping with my bipap, and I am getting to the point where I think it will really help my energy level. Saliva, saliva, saliva! aaarrrggg!:( I am going to start sleeping with tampons in my mouth!

Les takes amytripitline 30mg at nite, helps dry the mouth and it is also a mild antidepressant, helps with emotional lability, and helps pain control and is a sleeping aid. HUGS Lori

Hi Phil, there are some meds that help dry up saliva. It often takes a little "tinkering" to get the right med in the right dose. Scopolamine and glycopyrolate were the two we used. You Dr or ALS Clinic can find the one that helps you most.
Jane

Hi Phil, there are some meds that help dry up saliva. It often takes a little "tinkering" to get the right med in the right dose. Scopolamine and glycopyrolate were the two we used. You Dr or ALS Clinic can find the one that helps you most.
Jane

I have them, but they don't work well when my mouth is closed, and sleeping upright does something to my throat that feels restrictive. I have been experimenting.

Web uses Robinul at bedtime and it helps him. Love the tampon idea! Somewhat like the cotton rolls that the dentist uses but with the convenience of a string to remove it! I am serious, I think it is great.

Web uses Robinul at bedtime and it helps him. Love the tampon idea! Somewhat like the cotton rolls that the dentist uses but with the convenience of a string to remove it! I am serious, I think it is great.

Adds a whole new meaning to cottonmouth!lol

ROTFLMAO and holding my sides! Good one Phil :]

I'm sorry Phil, I wouldn't wish a tampon on anybody! Next thing you know you'll be strapping an old fashioned Kotex pad under your chin! Did you have to bring back the memories? :lol:

My husband has recently started using Atropine drops prescribed by Kahn at the clinic. The only side-effect so far has been a vision change immediately after taking, then that tapers off. He says it is worth it.

I'm sorry Phil, I wouldn't wish a tampon on anybody! Next thing you know you'll be strapping an old fashioned Kotex pad under your chin! Did you have to bring back the memories? :lol:

My husband has recently started using Atropine drops prescribed by Kahn at the clinic. The only side-effect so far has been a vision change immediately after taking, then that tapers off. He says it is worth it.

LMAO! You can use over the counter Atropine eye drops too right?

Over the counter? I don't think you can get them over the counter, Phil, like you can tampons! LOL

My husband says to tell you they work immediately and to get them!

Also, his cramps/spasms have stopped, since he's been taking Atropine. He no longer has the gagging, coughing and rarely the sneezing. His speech has gotten a tad better, just because there is not a collection of saliva in his mouth.

sleeping upright does something to my throat that feels restrictive.

I discovered that if I sleep with the head of my bed too far upright, then the full-face mask that I wear while sleeping was heavy enough to pull my head down on my chest far enough to partially close my throat and restrict my airway. When I fell asleep, my neck muscles would relax and my head would fall forward further than usual because of the weight of the mask. A few minutes later, I would wake up with my chest heaving, trying to pull in a breath. As soon as I got my head upright, the inhalation problem stopped.

Now, I sleep with the head of the bed elevated slightly less, so that my head rolls back into the pillow and not down toward my chest. In this position, gravity pulls the weight of the mask off to the sides. It won't work forever, so I'm looking at other solutions.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the esophagus might not be restricted the same way, making it difficult for folks with weakened bulbar muscles to swallow while sleeping, leading to pooling, drooling, etc.

I discovered that if I sleep with the head of my bed too far upright, then the full-face mask that I wear while sleeping was heavy enough to pull my head down on my chest far enough to partially close my throat and restrict my airway. When I fell asleep, my neck muscles would relax and my head would fall forward further than usual because of the weight of the mask. A few minutes later, I would wake up with my chest heaving, trying to pull in a breath. As soon as I got my head upright, the inhalation problem stopped.

Now, I sleep with the head of the bed elevated slightly less, so that my head rolls back into the pillow and not down toward my chest. In this position, gravity pulls the weight of the mask off to the sides. It won't work forever, so I'm looking at other solutions.

It wouldn't surprise me a bit if the esophagus might not be restricted the same way, making it difficult for folks with weakened bulbar muscles to swallow while sleeping, leading to pooling, drooling, etc.

Its always something! If it doesn't drule out, it goes into the lungs, and then its a bugger to cough it out! lol. I got it, use a nose mask, tape the mouth shut, and run a sealed drule tube through the tape, and run the other end of the tube into a spit jar! :grin:

I'm going to work on a mouth catheter...maybe it will be my millions!

Hey KayMarie-wanna help me and be my clinical consultant?!

Ya sure ya betcha! [that is Midwestern Norwegian for let's get started!] I love the tampon idea ;]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back