Diagnosis
5/2008
Country
US
State
Ga
City
Snellville
About being active, and using your muscles. Do you think it speeds up the weakness? Burning them up, so to speak?

Wish we could answer that one... Wondering always...

I understand that being active is actually beneficial, but no heavy exercising.

Our doctors have said, and I've heard repeated here...do not exercise to the point of fatigue.

If you strain, or hurt, a muscle it will not heal. I am talking from experience, please be careful!

My dad does the who Creatine thing before he walks and goes to the gym in the morning. The theory is to keep the muscles built up that you still have. I personally dont think lifting weights is a great idea. But, my dad wont listen. Either way, never never over do it, the fatigue will catch up to you. Pace yourself. I dont think there is any real definitive answer to this one, because it is really hard to tell if it does much good or if your disease is just slowing for the moment or what. Follow Joel's advice, he is da man!
Hugs, Kari

Phil,

My husband has always been active with landscaping the yard, fishing and home improvement. He's continued to do whatever he could after his diagnosed. Has it done any harm? I don't know. But, I do know he has enjoyed what he was able to do at the time, until it got too frustrating and he's had to use me as an extension of himself (that's even more frustrating! LOL)

I think the thing that affects him most, as far as deterioration of muscle, is going all out-all day. He would go all day to a water park with our son or go to Universal Studios and just not stop. That's when things started to get worse. But, he wanted that time with our son. He wouldn't take breaks.

So, I guess my point is to do the things you enjoy, but pace yourself!

CJ, you forgot culvert crawling!

Oh, to have the choice! mine progressed too fast.
But i think the best is passive exercise where the carer does the pulling and stretching. The MND association has pages of active and passive exercises they recommend so take a look if you have not so far

love to all

I concur with all said so far. Tom was a very strong and active fellow prior to diagnosed and has kept up with the activities and walking but I think he still can because he had the muscle bulk to begin with. He has enjoyed a very slow progression, but again I feel it is because he had more muscle to lose thus helping the process seem really slow.
Is it fair to say that you should not stop enjoying life by cutting out the things you love to do for fear of wasting away faster?
Live life.
Love life.
Be your happy self, not your worn out self.
I remember a joke:
Doctor says "I'm sorry but you have (name it), an incurable disease."
Patient says "Will I be able to play the piano in concert?"
Doctor says "Of coarse"
Patient says "Great, I couldn't yesterday"

You know what I mean. If you weren't a weight lifter before diagnosed, you probably shouldn't start after diagnosed.

You know, I think our bodies tell us what we can and cannot attempt. We just have to be ready to listen to our bodies now and not go on pushing past that limit of tiredness as I am sure we all did when we were well....................

I've been digging in the garden, after a month, my bicep is bigger, (there's a bulge that wasn't there before, at least I think it wasn't) but my wrist, forearm, hand and shoulder are weaker. I can't use a little hand spade, but the shovel type, that my upper body strength combined with stronger left arm, and legs, that I can do.... Before the gardening started, I could still hold a round brush with enough tension to style my hair with the blow dryer (ladies will understand) I can't keep a grasp on it now.

I like what Tom's Support said, about being one's happy self, not one's worn out self. I truly enjoy working in the flower beds, and I try my best to not overdo.

Love to think of you heaving bosom in the flower beds, dear, beautiful Rose. I have had to pay someone to come in and have had to try to explain the English system of gardening v the French. i e we do NOT plant all the flowers in rows .......
Hope you can keep on working there for long long time. I miss it more than anything...........

Sorry, Barry, didnt mean to hijack your thread.

Rose take lots of pictures this summer and share? You too Iris? Hugs, L

Not my thread to hijack but I know that I do feel better if I do at least a little bit of activity. Can't walk far and have never even been the slightest interested in the gym or working out but here is my garden :lol::lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back