Not open for further replies.

mcham

Country
US
State
MT
City
Big Timber
Has anyone tried using one of the new ipads? We were looking at one for my wife and thought it might be easier to use than a laptop. I've seen ipod touches talked about, but the small screen and icons are difficult for her to run with fingers that don't work very well. Not familiar with apples at all, but thought it might be good with the proloquo to go program as her speech is getting harder to understand.

Thanks,
Roger

I have an iPad, in fact I'm sing it to write this reply. The keyboard is nice and big but you can't feel the keys so you have to watch carefully as you type. It does have auto correction so most mistakes get fixed.

I haven't tried the proloquo, my speech is still good enough. I did try a cheap speech program for a couple bucks that says what you type, and it seems ok. Louder than the itouch but probably you'd still want an extra speaker. There is a special iPad version of proloquo and I'd think that would work very well.

It's really nice just for what it is, though, it's my favorite for general web browsing. I also have a lot of ebooks and it works great for those.

It is pretty heavy but for PALS who might be able to hold it in their lap that should be ok.

Overall I really like it, my favorite tech gadget in quite a while.

Hi Roger,

I think the ipad could be very useful for your wife. There's a stand that holds it upright. And a small, typical style keyboard that has regular keyboard buttons. Much nicer to use than a touch screen. Hal is right, you have to watch a touch screen more intensely to be sure it's doing what you want it to. I think the bigger screen is easier too.

Proloquo2go is compatible and can also be rented....so no need to buy the software. Much cheaper.

It almost seems they had our PALS in mind when they designed it.....

I have the 3G on order because I want it to function as a no contract cell phone too.

Now I sound like I work for Apple. :)

I also like it. My son has me addicted to apple.. Love the iPad. Halfin gave a great spot on description. Love ours...

Thanks for the replies. I think we'll give it a try. Make a nice mother's day present from me and our boys. I'll look into renting the speech software and the keyboard. When she tried one out the other day she had a little trouble straightening her finger enough to use the on screen keyboard. We were thinking of riggin som kind of finger brace to help with that.

Roger

Hi, I have the Apple ipod with proloque.. I have a little speeker with it. I do keep it in my purse. You are right about the tiny key board.. I go so slow the the conversation has changed and on to something else before I am done typing. Is a problem. My son called yesterday about the new Apple . He is looking into it for me and checking it all out. So we'll see. L

iPad.....my kids went in on a new iPad for me for mothers day.....oh my gosh, this is the coolest thing ever....anyone looking for a talking,everything device....look at this from apple...I am so happy today......Linda

Linda, did you put your Proloquo2go on your IPad? How does it work, is it easier to type on? How is the built in speaker?

I wish my fingers worked so I could get one but my hands are useless. LOL. You are making me jealous!

Oh my ,I have three different speaking machines..this is by far my favorite...lg keyboard, light weight,easy to carry around. Louder speaker. Barry, I am still learning mt way around it. I think it has every thing u can think of...you name what yo want and I will tell u if it has it.. I am soooooooooooo excited...l

YOu are so so so lucky. What wonderful children to get you such a present§ Way to go, sweet girl. Hope it helps you masses and masses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back