Diagnosis
09/2007
Country
US
State
PA
City
Altoona
My husband has been diagnosed with PLS 4 yrs ago. He has been progressing at a pretty rapid rate this year. He has stiffness and weakness in both legs he said walking feels like he has 100 pound weights on each leg, knees kicking back in both legs and clonus in both feet. This year he has developed weakness in both his hands and his fine motor skills are very poor. He can't even open a zip lock bag and also using eating utensils is getting worse everyday. He has fallen alot because his toes drag. His neuro now wants him to take Rilutek and he wasn't going to take it because of the cost, but we received some info to via the forum and we are waiting to hear if we can receive some help for the cost of the medicine. We completed the forms NORD asked for and we had to have the Neuro fill out paper work as to his diagnosis. My question is....... under diagnosis it asked for Primary Diagnosis which was PLS and under Secondary Diagnosis it said ALS, does that mean he has both PLS and ALS? Sorry if that sounds stupid but I thought PLS was upper motor neuron involvement and ALS was Lower motor neuron involvement, does the diagnosis mean the Neuro thinks he has both upper and lower involvement ? Thanks for any info received :)

You are correct in that PLS is upper motor neuron involvement only. ALS involves both the upper and lower motor neurons.

I'm not sure why they have ALS as a secondary diagnosis. Best thing is to ask the doc.

I second Kim's advice. Is it possible that in order to receive the Rilutek at no charge from NORD that you must have a diagnosed of ALS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back