Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
Wa.
City
Puyallup
Hi everyone, I know that fatigue is a part of having ALS. But have any of you done anything or taken anything that you think helps with the overwhelming fatigue?
Hugs, Kari

Well, rest. :)

I try not to push myself too hard. If I have to do a bit more, a cup of coffee helps a little. Maybe those energy drinks would work. But nothing makes all that much difference.

Get lots of sleep. I have not found anything else that helps.

Yep , I echo the thoughts above.

Sometimes, you just need to give your pillow some head.

I try to grab an hour or two every afternoon.

I am taking Geritol! Dont' know if it is doing any good, but I am taking it anyway! Can't find any other liquid vitamin...
chefdeborah

Love it, Glen!

I use bi-pap all-night and also shoot for one hour of similar sleep every afternoon. I also don't allow myself to get very hungry. When I feel hungry, I feel weakness coming on. My sweet wife keeps a lot of protein snacks around like crackers, peanut butter, cottage cheese and protein drinks. She also watches me and makes sure my pride is not stealing away my energy. I can still do some things for myself, but putting on my shoes, shirt, making coffee(I was doing it, but the task took about 30 minutes) and sadly, eating with a fork and spoon all sapped my energy. My Lori is my best "energy pill"-wife-best friend-nurse-shower buddy. Woo-Hoo! -- JK

I do 5 hour energy once in awhile gives me a boost to get thru doing house work! I have noticed I have tons more energy the days I go to the chiropractor=)

Lots and lots of sex! Well not really, but I can wish anyway! Actually it is the other thing that people do in bed. Like Glen and Joel, I have a snooze and then "eat" a lot.

More Sleep.

I used to do fine on 5-6 hours a night until a couple of years ago. Now I amaze myself that I can sleep 7-8 and still be tired in the morning.

I wonder if you sleep a lot because you are tired, or are you tired because you dont sleep enough? Either way, I know dad is sleeping more these days. Takes a nap in the middle of the day with the bi-pap. HE LOVES HIS BI-PAP! Use to hate it, now its his new best friend he says. I gave him the info on the 5 hour energy drink. He is doing these Chinese herbs and a special diet and tea along with acupuncture. That doctor doesnt want him on any B vitamins. Hummm.... It seemed to have worked great week 1, but now he is not doing so well with the fatigue. His voice is stronger, but that is the only thing for the positive worth even noting. If he continues not feeling so well, I hope he kicks that doctor to the curb! Thanks guys so much for your replies!
Hugs, Kari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back