Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
waynesboro
We live in a 3 story home which my MIL lives on 1st floor back part of house. She has bulbar onset and cannot speak at all. We solved the problem if we weren't in the room with her if she needed us by getting a battery operated doorbell that she just pushed the button that you would attach to the house. Well, now she struggles to push the button while in bed, we sleep on the 2nd floor and she gets up about 3 or 4 times a night to suction. We tried taping the button way down hoping if she didn't have to push it so far it would be easier but not really. It does work most of the time but to me most of the time isn't good enough. We have been going on little sleep so when we do get to sleep it is a deep sleep and she said we missed the bell twice lately. It really scares me so I'm just looking for any suggestions you all might have. Thanks Josie

what about a baby alarm which could magnify any little sound she could make. I imagine you could even add a loudspeaker so if she just said "uh" you should hear her?

We thought of that but she moans all the time so I don't know if that would work. I thought maybe trying to find a child toy that has a button to push to make different sounds that are loud. The buttons on those are easy to push and usually big. Problem is I can't find any toys like that right now. I know at Christmas there are tons. Thanks for replying. Love ya Josie

those little plastic pianos..the keys move really easily. But you would need a microphone to boost the sound. Think I'd better leave this to the mechanical wizards. No chance of moving the bedrooms closer?

Can you move the bell so she can use a different part of her body to push it, such as a foot? I'm sorry I don't know the extent of her movement ability Josie. You said on another thread they had ordered her a PWC I think.

How about an infra-red beam device?

218QCAA9Q3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The beam goes up to 60 feet if needed. Maybe this could be set up where she could pass her hand or foot through the beam? When the beam is crossed, it sounds an alarm. Just an idea...

You can find these on amazondotcom.

Last edited:
Brooksea, great idea, I have never seen them. I will be checking them out. Irismarie, I would love to move the rooms closer but no such chance. If we get baby moniters that would send the sound to our room. The piano would probably work also. Thanks, I have been going crazy. It's amazing what you can come up with when needed. We even put the doorbell button on a pencil which gave it more tension and worked for awhile but not now. Her hands and arms are pretty much just there. She can occassionaly open her colostamy bag but not usually. If it weren't for her nails it would be never. THANKS, JOSIE

Hi Josie.

We use both of the following (without a baby monitor). Maybe one of these will work for you too.

1. Try an augmentative switch wired to a bike horn and use a baby moniter.

There are many augmentative communication buddy button/switches. A lot of the augmentative switches require very little effort to push and also come in a variety of sizes. Find the switch you think will work best and wire it to a bicycle horn. Your local bike shop should have a selection of horns with variety of noises and volumes to choose from. Picking "your" distinctive noise can be a lot of fun - Harley, ooga, etc. :0) You could talk to your local speech language pathologist about switches, or, try calling your local hospital and speak to the head of their speech department and/or their rehab department. They may have switches available for you to try or may even have more ideas to try.

2. X 10 makes a mini powerhorn security siren. The noise is very loud & distintive - don't think anyone can sleep through that noise. They also have a variety of switches that may work.

Hope this is helpful.

Hi Josie -
Radio Shack has a $20 alarm that is great - one receiver and two transmitters come with it. The alarm is quite loud - my dad who really has bad hearing can hear this alarm with no problem. This works great between floors in my parents house. My dad even takes the receiver out in the yard and it works there, too. The transmitters have different alarms so you can choose which one you prefer. The transmitter can hang from a lanyard around the neck. My mom has very weak hands/arms/fingers and she is able to press the button on the transmitter - it works with just the lightest pressure. She has us put her hand around the transmitter and her finger on the button when she is in her room by herself and during the night. So far it has really worked very well. If you look on the internet for alarms for hearing impaired people you will find some interesting possibilities there, too - including alarms with noise and/or flashing lights, etc. Hope you find something that works for y'all.

Thank you Betsy, I will be checking those out also. I knew we weren't the only one with this issue. Josie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back