Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
NE
City
Lincoln
Well, we did it, got all moved in one long weekend. We are stuffed into this one bedroom handicap apartment, and a good lot of our stuff is in storage. This apartment has a handicap accessable kitchen sink, and I can get under it with the wheelchair. Bathroom has a roll-in shower, and ALSA delivered a rolling shower chair. This is a senior living facility and I'm apparently the youngest resident. I have aides coming in the morning and night to get me into and out of bed. Also shower aide, and housekeeping aide. We get 2 meals a day, 6 days a week down in the lunchroom. Food is relatively decent, but we are on our own for Sundays.

We are on the 1st floor, along with all the other wheelchair-bound people. Building has 8 floors, 120 apartments. I have a hospital bed now, and it's been a bit of fun getting used to it. I'd post a couple of pictures of the place, but I dropped my cell phone in the toilet 2 days after getting here, so it's toast. One AT&T store in Lincoln, in the south end of town, and I'm in the North end. I haven't tried out the public transport here yet, but they say all the busses are wheelchair compatible.

Been here a week now, and it's been a busy one. Getting wife set up for dialysis and transport to and from, setting up Lifeline, a emergency call service. I'll have wrist band with a button on it. Applying for this and that and everything else in between. My voice has taken a big hit through all of this, and I'm really going to have to buckle down and study Prologue on the Ipod. Not really sure it is worthwhile getting another cell phone, but 9 months to run on contract.

So, here we are, and here we'll stay, in the state I was born in.

Perry

Perry, I am soul happy for you and the wifey! It may not be posh but oh the conveniences and the HELP! Do you have your ham radio set up? Sending you big old Midwestern hugs and the joy of the song of the Meadowlark! Kay Marie

Good you are on the first floor! Sorry about your voice. Stress really does seem to affect symptoms.

Now the flying monkeys don't have far to go!

LOL Kay Marie, I had to leave the computer and you replied bfr me!

GO BIG RED!

Perry, I am glad that everything went well with your move and that you are getting settled in. It is a good thing that the food is ok, that is important.

Perry..put your phone in a zip lock back of rice...worked for my phone after I dropped it in coffee. Worth a try. I am pleased to hear that you are settled in your new home. Take care of yourself.
Kelly

glad you are all set , sorry about your phone .. if you can you can get then on ebay cheap and it wont renew your contract craig list is also the same way

Good to hear from you Perry and nice to have you back!

Congrats on the move Perry. No doubt plenty stressful but things sound to be well set up for you and your wife. Hope that once you have settled in to your new normal you will find a new measure of happiness.

glad to hear you have moved into your new home though it will take time to settle.
i did the move from a big house and garden to a small disabled ground floor flat 18mths ago,took a long time to get used to and still odd jobs to do.
i was the youngest resident with all elderly but another disabled lady my age has just moved into the next block.

BRILLIANT!
We don't make toast like that over here;-)
HOpe once you get settled voice will improve again and that everything else will settle down nice and easy...

Perry, I am soul happy for you and the wifey! It may not be posh but oh the conveniences and the HELP! Do you have your ham radio set up? Sending you big old Midwestern hugs and the joy of the song of the Meadowlark! Kay Marie

Probably won't do any good to set up Ham Radio here, building appears to be pretty effective RF shield. They have some of the fattest brown squirrels here I've ever seen. and they'll come up on your lap easily if you have something to feed them. They feed the squirrels and birds here. And some people have a garden out back that they are getting ready.

Perry

Sounds like not too bad of a set up. Good luck.

AL.

Hi, glad you are back. Sounds like you are now all safe and sound in your new surroundings? L

there you are grampal was starting to worry about you

Welcome back Perry,
I am glad the move went well.
I am sure you will work out a way to get your radio up and running again.

P.S. be carefull the squirrels dont have a liking to nuts :wink: :wink:
cheers
peter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back