strikeout

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Brick
Does anyone know of an emergency alert device where you don't have to push a button? If something were to happen to me, my husband (and me) would be up s%*#'s creek for who knows how long.

I have asked the same question to my ALSA rep. She is looking into it, but so far nothing. My wife has the same problem. If she fell she has zero use of her hands or arms so there is no why she could reach out to push anything. We simply do not allow her to be alone. She has clinic on Friday and I'll be sure and ask if they have come up with anything.

I am the CALS, husband is the PALS. Not expecting anything to happen to me, but if I needed emergency medical attention or happened to die in my sleep and didn't go to him in the morning, he would just be stuck in his chair or bed for god knows how long.

I am looking into it as well. Does your husband have use of facial muscles?

Yes he does, jamorel. Thanks to you and CAHPAH for your help.

I have a couple of people on twitter who are looking into it for us. I will hopefully have more for you tomorrow. Night and you are welcome

We just got a Guardian Alert, but you have to push a button with that. I was researching it after we got it, and read something about other services where they have features that have you call in at a certain time every day, and if you do not they assume it is an emergency and send someone out. Also, the Guardian alert has a lock box you can buy to put a key in so emergency workers can get in the house.

I had some great feedback, one which was much the same as "sadiemarie" and a watchdog system. I will check back as I know that a fellow in NY who lost his wife to ALS and is very active in the ALS community promised to get back to me. He may know more about an automated device.

I just got some information from my ALSA chapter about something called Lifeline offered by Philips. I is a pendant that you wear which is able to detect a fall. If a fall is detected and no one response within a certain time, help is sent. Looks like it is offered here in the St. Louis area by our local Red Cross. They give a 1-800-959-6989 number but I have no idea if that is national or local. It would be a good place to start. Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back