Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
In
City
Ft Wayne
If someone's oxygen level is high but someone is out of breath (and on a Bipap with bulbar ALS), and they seem to process things more slowly (poor concentration, hard time forming sentences), is this because of "cognitive changes" or can it just be from lack of oxygen. For those of you on a trache, did you notice improvement in concentration/thinking once you got on the trache?

Also, has anyone on here with bulbar (with quick progression) been able to speak on the trache (if you spoke before you got on the trache)?

The trache gave me my life back. In answer to your question you can still be short of breath even if your O2 levels are good. Turn up the volume.

If you spoke before the trache you can still talk after and it has nothing to do with Bulbar.

Carbon Dioxide.
Get your blood CO2 checked--arterial blood gas--especially if you feel drowsy.
SpO2 (% Oxygen saturation) is only half the story--albeit the easy half (sorry, needle required).

Good to see you post Adrian, hope things are ok.

I'm doing quite well, thank you! In fact, Im now in India and about 2 weeks into a 2 month Stem Cell treatment--I feel progress is being made, by ME not the disease!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back