Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
Aus
State
NSW
City
Sydney
My mother communicates with us by writing on a whiteboard. However her hands are becoming very weak and I think she will need a laser pointer and communication board within a week or two. She has to really concentrate to form the letters when she writes, and sometimes they just tail off into nothing.

This was a woman who, two weeks ago, was writing clearly in full sentences with all correct spelling and punctuation. Yet now her words are misspelled (tto instead of too - stuff like that) and I don't really understand that because they say your brain function isn't affected by ALS, apart from the neuron issues.

Anyone got ideas on this? I can understand that she can't use her motor skills to form her letters any more, but that doesn't explain why her spelling has suddenly gone awry.

sesl

Hummm...well I know that with a small amount with people with ALS, that yes it can effect your brain and cause dementia. There are several people here whos PALS have that. My concern is that it came on so sudden like that. I am sure they will see this thread and comment. Sorry I could not be of more help hun. I am sure some answers are on the way!
Hugs, Blu

Have you spoken to your doctor? Is it possible that something else may have occured, such as a minor stroke? My father (who does not have ALS) suffers from strokes... several small ones that are often undetected and a couple of big ones that almost took his life. I am not suggesting that she has had a stroke, but you should ask your doctor what might cause such a sudden change. ALS does not mean that other health issues do not continue to occur, such as heart disease, stroke or cancer. You should always ask the doctor and if you do not get a satisfactory answer, consult another doctor.

My dad's brain was affected in this way too. Sometimes he could write a word that was spelled correctly but most of the time words were just random jumbles of letters. ( Probably why he refused to write on a board or use a computer. He'd sit and stare and not seem to be able to figure out what to write or how to do it. At first he would concentrate hard, start to write, then erase, then try to finish.) This kind of thing does happen with some ALS patients as I did some research on it when Dad was showing this symptom. He could use his hands but his brain just wasn't cooperating.

Debbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back