Diagnosis
5/2008
Country
US
State
Ga
City
Snellville
I just realized something. About a year or so before my first symptoms. I noticed that I couldn't whistle anymore. Any bulbarians notice that too?

I didn't realize it until my doctor asked me to. (I said "sure" ~ then found out I couldn't)

Never could whistle and sure can't now. I do remember being asked at a clinic and I couldn't but I wasn't surprised.

now this is weitd and I should never have connecte"d it. But I am limb onset yet a couple of years ago I found I could no longer whistle. THought it musyt be teeth realignmane as I aged or something alse like that but definitely I stopped being able to whistle...........except the fingers in mouth whistle, which I could still do...........
Weird

My whistle has always been weak but now it is totally gone. My howling was the worst too.. I did it though and the animals howled back. I probably scared them..lol L

I used to be a super duper whistler (sorry guys, and guy-ettes) People used to say I could whistle like a man. Much better than my singing.

I miss it most when trying to get my errant dog to come when called.

p.s. how clever "Bulbarian" :wink:

Rose, I bet you did a wicked wolf-whistle!

Barry the Bubarian :twisted::twisted:

I certainly did 8)

Last edited:
Rose: I wonder why your doctor asked you to whistle. It seems like that would be a rather crude test for bulbar issues compared to emg, swallowing tests, etc. Is it another 'red flag' for bulbar like nasal voice, tongue fasics, etc. ?

Rhythman,
It was a part of her routine clinical exam for me for the purpose of observing progress (or lack thereof) Its along the lines of checking soft palate elevation, strength of jaw closure, stick out the tongue, wiggle it, smile for me, etc. At this point I'd already had an EMG positive for MND.

P.S. I'd had no problem whistling for previous exams. I think I was being seen about every two months back then.... Now, before we get a lot of nervous people who can't whistle being afraid they have bulbar onset, please remember that many people cannot whistle, its somewhat like a talent, not exactly, but its not everyone's God given right that they will be whistlers. By itself it is not remarkable. In my case it was significant because I could whistle well before.

Last edited:
And even if you could whistle before and can't now it doesn't mean that you have ALS!

Bulbarians - love it! Gotta have a sense of humour about these things.

Conan... er, Barry,

I'm just waiting for the opportunity to use "Bulbarian" in a sentence, like in response to what someone says here, I can reply "That's so Bulbarian of you. Depending on context, this could be a compliment, slam, or just about anything. It could come a very versatile and expressive word. BethU would have loved it.

sesl,

Yes, humor is always a positive. You Australians (thinking of Peter, but there are several of you) have a knack for it. So, I guess its already Saturday for Down Under, and yet here we all are, being Bulbarian (see... I used it in a sentence! conveying "humor" ) 8)

My "Bulbarian" (cool term Phil!) is only asked by residents or fellows to puff and blow, not whistle. But, he never has been able to whistle since I met him. I always wondered why. The puff and blow stuff only gets him laughing and spewing --- the residents don't think it's funny. However, we do! :lol: Ha! Welcome to bulbar ALS doctors!

Bulbarians should be in the next Follies story in honour of Beth!

PS- My husband claims to be Bulbarius Maximus!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back