Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Columbus
You know, I remember back in the day, before the Internet, when we all just had email (usually through your local library) and you could only get to it via a dial up connection and you had to wait for it to go through and NOT get a busy signal.

I remember that some people in my city decided to meet up for a drink or dinner and then they started doing potlucks.

Has anyone here ever suggested an organized group meeting in some select city.

I know travel would be extremely difficult for some but there are so many of you / us that I want to actually hug in person as opposed to sending virtual hugs.

Anyone interested?
Jenn

I live near Lancaster and work in downtown Cols. I welcome the opportunity to meet you in person.

Where do you work? Don't suppose it's the insurance company with "The World's Greatest Spokesperson... in the World?"

I live near Lancaster and work in downtown Cols. I welcome the opportunity to meet you in person.

I've been craving some real live human interaction lately too. Most of the people I know are at a loss for words in my presence. Some are great, but most of my oldest "friends" just stay away. I feel closer to the people here than anywhere else. And frankly, lately I've really felt the need for a hug, a real warm human embrace.

Dick

Dick -
Sounds like you be "in" if we could pull something together.
I've been spending alot of time in the forum lately too. I'm sure you know this but, people just don't know what to say, that's why they stay away. Frankly, would you know what to say to you? And you're right... nothing is better than a REAL hug.

Jenn

I work for a large often-thought-of-as-evil utility that helps power your computer so you can visit these forums. :D

I only have a couple of people that aren't afraid to really talk to me - and weird as it is - those are the people that I wasn't really close to - one was just someone I saw at the Y downtown at lunchtime - she's been an amazing source of support - mostly by treating me the same as always. Everyone else thinks I someone "different" now......

mytwoboys,

Would this be the same "large often-thought-of-as-evil utility" that took 5+ days to get to my neighborhood when we got the remnants of hurricane Ike? LOL

I would love to meet up with you. My mom works at "the insurance company that has a hockey arena named for it" too and isn't a member of the forum but I'm sure she'd love to meet you too. She could use someone to talk to who knows exactly what she's going through.

Let's make this happen and then we can broaden the span of who wants to meet up and when.

It is the same.... Ironically enough, I only lost power for 5 hours during that event - we are on a rural co-op - I honestly don't know how we got so lucky because they don't have nearly the number of crews - maybe there weren't as many lines damaged out here because it's nothing but farm fields - not a lot of trees growing near wires.

I digress. I am PMing you my work email so we can set something up.
:p

FANTASTIC... anyone else interested in getting together in some REALLY great city?

Yes Jenn, I'd be "in" and no I probably wouldn't know what to say to others if I hadn't lived it. Still, I have four friends at work I would that I would give my life to if they asked, just because of what they have done and continue to do for me. These are not people I counted as friends just a few years ago. Other than my kids, I can count on one hand all the rest of the people in the world I feel that way about. "You find out who your friends are", and they came from very unexpected quarters. I don't know how many here on the forum, I would feel that way about but I bet it would be a much larger percentage than my regular circle of friends. I've felt nothing but acceptance and love here despite some of what I thought would be seen as less than compassionate opinions. This journey has changed me, so I guess in many ways I'm not the person my friends used to know.

Oh, I am way way out here in Puyallup Wa. you guys are so far! I would LOVE to have a big get together with everyone here! Everyone is so much like family and its weird that we dont actually see each other. Then there is of course the money issue. Ahhh, maybe someday.
Hugs to all!....Kari

Many of us have often HOWLED about how we would love to have the opportunity to actually see one another and share time as a group. We played with the idea of going to Peter's-to Irismarie's to Canada-a Cruise...It would be so incredible if we could REALLY make it happen! I think Barry was working on finding the geographic center of all of us! I am tooooooo stinkin jealous! You all have a WONDERFUL TIME for all of us xo

If this comes to be you must give each other extra hugs for the rest of us. I agree that people just don't know what to say to you. Many just can't handle the finality of it , so stay away. Other just don't get it and that just drives me nuts! Had someone say that his wife has a problem with her intestines and that is so much worse than ALS! Wanted to bop him on the head until it sunk in exactly what ALSis! At least the people you talk to here get it and you don't have to explain to them.Would love to meet you all. Come on Barry, find the center for us.

Sorry everyone, I got busy with work and income tax and forgot all about it. I will work on it and let you know. I have had the pleasure of meeting several forum members, my son and I stayed overnight with Joel and Christine, I had a nice visit with John1 at Kitt Peak in Arizona and met with DebbieR and her mom for a few minutes when she gave me some formula. It is so nice to be able to say hello in person although in my case it still involves a computer.

Barry, Lets find a meeting ground and plan something and have a huge soup party ?LOL It would be so wonderful for as many as could get together? This summer sometime? Maybe at a park Have a huge pot Luck? What do u think? Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back