Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
Aus
State
NSW
City
Sydney
My mother is finally unable to eat orally, at all. In the past week she has gone from eating 3 pureedm meals a day and some thickened fluids to nothing at all apart from her peg nutrition.

Now, how do we ensure her mouth ensures clean and healthy and free from fungal infections, bacteria and so on? It seems that a moist dark orifice with no food or water regularly flowing past would be an idea breeding ground for all kinds of nasties. Is cleaning her teeth daily enough, or is there more we should be doing?

Thanks.

sesl

Sesl, I am in the same place as your mom in having my mouth only a breathing hole. It is not enough to do one daily mouth cleaning, I do at least three and my SLP has recommended that I brush, flush and scrape (get a tongue scraper) after every feed so for me that is 5 times per day. You are right, with no flow of food or water the mouth is a great place for gunk buildup and fungus growth.

I have installed bar type faucets so that I can get my mouth under the water and I also purchased a Waterpik water jet cleaner that allows me to flush while I am bent over the sink. I can flush without having to swallow or worry about aspirating water and gunk. Of course all of this works because I can stand and bend over the sink but it also would work along with a suction device, just like the old spitoons in the dentist chair has been replaced by suction. I am not going to post a link but do a search for Waterpik Ultra Dental Water Jet WP-100 and you will find it, I have two because if one breaks I would be lost without a backup.

I hope this info helps
Barry

Thanks Barry. This is exactly what I needed to know. We had already worked out that once a day wasn't enough, so your advice to do it 5 times is good. We already have a water pik which my mother uses in her chair with a bowl held under chin. She also rinses her mouth a little with some soda water which seems to help a little too.

We have a tongue scraper. Can't floss - she can't open her mouth enough to get fingers in!

I'm no expert but I think we might be talking weeks, not months, so keeping her comfortable is the most important thing - no need to worry too much about cavities and plaque buildup.

Really appreciate your advice.

sesl

Sesl, I do not have any advice. I just wanted to tell you that you are a fabulous daughter and a incredible CALS! hugs to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back