Diagnosis
03/2009
Country
US
State
NY
City
Chateaugay
My mother fell the other day and hit her head. She has a good size lump, but other than that everything is okay. She told me after falling last year and breaking her arm she has now learned to fall. She tucked her arms in and let herself go. My father was there to help her up and dust her off and send her on her way. Her swallowing is getting worse so it won't be long before she gets her tube. Her breathing is still the same, she has no trouble with that. She told my father she can't wait to get her tube so she won't have to eat his cooking anymore. My family has a very strange sense of humor.

Dana

After my mom fell and had two sets of staples put in her head (the second set the day after the first were removed) she started to wear a helmet as suggested by ER doctors. Not really fashionable but saved her head from anymore damage for the several falls she experienced after deciding to wear one. Painting flames on the front and sides added to the helmet!

Dana
Sounds like your mom has a great sense of humor. We need to find the laughter where we can.

Tfisher
I'll have to see if I can get my wife to try the helmet idea (NOT!) She has no use of her arms at all and I am afraid if she does fall it will be bad since she would have no way to cacth her fall, still I dn't see her agreeing to the helmet idea but I'll keep my bike helmet close just in case.

Well my mom was not interested either but when you get staples twice in one month and the docs tell you the next time you hit your head it might be the end for you that helps with the decision. My mom was always dressed up with high heels and perfect hair and make-up and ALS took all that away from her and then some. She gave up caring about all that when she went into survival mode.

So what kind of helmet would be good? I'm thinking of a hockey helmet and at least I would look like a Canadian eh? I could mount some speakers for my IPod onto it, wear a hockey jersey and carry a hockey stick for a cane. Maybe even get a Don Cherry type shirt and tie (Canucks will know what I mean) for head support. He drools! He scores!

That would keep me fashionable for at least a couple of months until football starts and then I can switch. Touchdown!

That's pretty good Barry! A skateboarding type helmet was recommended, the kind that goes further down the back of your head and also provides some ear protection.

Thanks, I can't wait to see the looks when I hobbleflop clutching my cane into the local skateboard shop and ask for a helmet! :shock::shock:

Last edited:
Of course, if you wanted to go all out you could special order something along the line of a goalie or catcher helmet!

This is just ONE of the reasons that I soul adore all of you!

Dana - I'm happy to hear that your mom suffered no "serious" injuries! My dad fell 3 times and it always scared the heck out of me!

I love your mom's sense of humor! I hope she has the option to eat or avoid Dad's cooking for a long time to come! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back