Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Little Elm
My dad is experiencing a weird symptom. Well, we don't really know if it is a symptom or not. But the past 6 months, my dad has had a runny nose..like not runny..running..My dad can not use enough tissues..he has NEVER had any kind of reaction like this for any reason.

It may sound ridiculous :oops: But..could this be caused by medication? Poor guy gets so mad every time he has to wipe his nose.

We've brought it up to the clinic doctor and she says give him nose drops. they didn't help.

If I am ridiculous, then please call me out. At least I can rule this out as a possible ALS thing!

Last edited by a moderator:
My husband also has a problem with his nose. Antihistamines help sometimes. He's never had allergies but, I don't know if he's just more sensitive to everything in the air now. To complicate matters, it is difficult for him to blow his nose. Half the time he doesn't even know it's "running," which can be very embarrassing to him when he is out in public. Combine that with drooling and your in the market for tons of tissues!

I can relate to your dad's frustration, LoveMyPALS. I have noticed a similar problem with a running nose ever since my breathing muscles weakened and I lost the ability to get a strong sniff through my nose.

I don't think that the runny nose is caused by any medications. I think it was probably there all along but unconscious small sniffs with stronger breathing muscles kept everything from hitting bottom, so to speak.

The worst time for me is mealtime. Don't know what causes it but it is very annoying.

Hope this helps.

ah ha! I may not be ridiculous after all! Thank you Thank you for letting me know this could be common.

I think my dad will be relieved to know why this is happening. Weakened breathing muscles makes sense!

Happy Sunday!

Web has the same issue and I agree with Cj, combined with the drooling we go through a lot of tissue and towels! I find it very frustrating to be told by the "Professionals" that the symptoms have nothing to do with ALS and then I come to the forum and find that most of the PALS are experiencing the same thing. The problem is that there has never been any comprehensive statistics compiled so how do the "Professionals" know if it is a common ALS complaint?

What I was told causes the drooling in bulbar ALS was twofold. First, as the swallowing muscles in the throat begin to fail, saliva begins to pool in the mouth that normally would have been swallowed unconsciously as it accumulated in the mouth. And, of course, the drooling occurs when the accumulated saliva exceed the capacity of the mouth or when the muscles controlling the lips and jaws fail to keep the mouth closed, allowing the pooled saliva to escape.

I just applied similar reasoning to the runny nose. Never was told it officially by any of my doctors because it didn't seem to be related to anything in particular and was easily dealt with, so I never mentioned it to them. I've had seasonal allergies for as long as I can remember, so sniffing and blowing are almost unconscious for me.

i am just at the constantly wiping the corners of the mouth to get rid of the seeping saliva
. It really pisses me off big time that the doctors do not listen to us. WHy cazn they not just read the forum from time to time. My letter to Cambridge University did not even receive a polite reply..........

wow...........i have had this problem for a few years,constantly having to use a tissue even in summer.
i never even gave it a thought that it could be mnd related.
i do get a nasal drip sometimes............were it trickles from your nose down the back of your throat and makes you choke.

as for doctors..........i dont think they could ever know what we go through unless they got mnd themselves,i my opinion they are no judges in secondary symptoms of mnd.

My dad has the same issue. He's always had issues with not being able to breathe - too stuffy. And now, he's anything BUT stuffy, it just flows. If all PALS & caregivers bought stock in tissue and paper towel companies (for the drooling) we could make some REAL money for research. LOL!

Best bet is gonna be a antihistamine I would think. I have the opposite problem. I am too dry!

My husband has no bulbar symptoms, but like trfogey he has to blow his nose during and after every meal! He has begun to sneeze more often too, sometimes 6 or more times in a row. This started about 2.5 yrs ago. I attributed this to him being in the house more often and not enough fresh air. We purchased hi grade hepa filters for our furnace and I vacuum like crazy but no change. I hadn't thought it could be illness related but based on these posts there certainly is a correlation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back