Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
WI
City
Milwaukee
I've never tread in this area as long as Dad was my focus. Now that he has passed, I and my aunt (Dad's sister) are wondering if there is a connection between ALS and Parkinson's Disease. I've done some Googling, but come up with little.

Dad had ALS. His dad (my grandfather) supposedly had Parkinson's but because he was poor, his health care was insufficient. He had no tremors, so his Parkinson's would have been somewhat atypical. He passed in 1975. Dad's uncle died in an institution (again very poor) of unknown causes in the 70's, although he had been institutionalized for years.

Dad has few relatives. He has one brother who is in his 70's and is healthy. His sister, in her 80's, is healthy. Dad has 10 healthy nieces and nephews from those siblings and one healthy child (me - knock on wood).

In sum, there are no other cases of ALS or Parkinson's.

So, has anyone ever heard of a connection where one makes the other more likely? This "feels like" two random cases (Dad and Grandpa) of unfortunate neurological illnesses, but I've wondered.

Lisa, my mom had Parkinson's and I have ALS. Is there a connection or is it just a coincidence?

my aunt has Parkinsons and my brother had ALS

I believe Joy's mom had Parkinsons and her dad had Alzheimers. Her dad was in the army and they lived most of their lives in rural communities...

so strange you mention this my husbands father also had parkinsons and passed away 2 years ago , one year before my husband diagnosed of ALS

Well just as a contrary data point, there is no neurological disease of any sort in my family tree that I know of. My ancestors died of stroke and cancer mostly. The ALS came as a complete surprise.

My husbands aunt (his father's twin) and 2 female cousins had a progressive form of multiple sclerosis. But no parkinsons. My Father's father died from Parkinsons. We have a large family and so far no one else in the family has any type of neurolical problems.

I suspect statistically, it's not illogical to have both ALS and Parkinsons in the family. Dad's neuro talked about the rarity of familial ALS, but also suggested that a genetic susceptibility to neurological disorders isn't an unrealistic possibility.

Any connection here? Husband has P.B.P./A.L.S. son has M.E. and hubby's first cousin Lupus.

Everything I have read to date points to environmental triggers combined with a genetic predisposition... but I have yet to read anything that states beyond a doubt what is considered an environmental trigger or what qualifies as a genetic predisposition. Does it have to be familial ALS or is it linked to other neorological disorders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back