Diagnosis
05/2006
Country
US
State
Ms
City
Gulfport
Progress being made in at least some trials locally. Article about one of the Forum members Billy Dyle.

Local clinic uses stem cells to fight Lou Gehrig's disease - New Orleans News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - FOX 8 Live WVUE-TV Channel 8

A small research company on the North Shore is launching a ground breaking protocol that the world will be watching. For the first time ever, patients with Lou Gehrig’s disease could have a glimmer of hope.

TCA Cellular Therapy in Covington has the first Food and Drug Administration approval to begin a trial using adult stem cells to treat amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS

Cardiologist Dr. Gabriel Lasala is co-owner and medical director of TCA.

“This will be a center to treat ALS patients and patients with other diseases with stem cells, so this is tremendous,” said Lasala.

ALS, or Lou Gehrig’s disease, attacks the nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord that control voluntary muscle movement. It has no cure.

Billy Dyle was diagnosed with the disease five years ago. He is hoping for any help to slow the progression.
“It's been over 70 years since Lou Gehrig had the disease and it's the same today. Doctors tell you it's a fatal disease and there's no cure,” Dyle said

I hope it works! My sister in law was in stage 4 renal failure and the mayo in mn. began a trial with her in it using stem cells. Last month they determined it to be the cure for her type of cancer. Now everyone with it has been contacted to start the procedure. I don't remember the cancer type but it is within her family. Her older sister died when she was 35, my sister in law has lived her whole life dreading the day she would get it. Now she's cured.

Lets hope it works with als.

Although this treatment won't be a cure (Dr. Lasala's words, not mine), he did say it could really slow progression or stop the progression and even improve some mobility. Boy, let's really keep our fingers crossed on this one!

I know many will want to know if they can get in the trial. Billy told me it is booked for this one. If the results are good they will expand later. The criteria was hard to meet, less than 3 or 6 months since diagonosis. Missed me by several years.
If we hear any news will update you.
This is first USA Food and Drug Administration approval to begin a trial using adult stem cells to treat amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, or ALS.
Praise God they finally are moving in the right direction I hope. This is the kind of HOPE I can grasp. Please God help them find a treatment or a cure.

I LOVE to hear things like this. It would be such a blessing if this works and they can start distributing it asap. My brother is already on breathing treatments and has problems swallowing. Ventilator and feeding tube is next. I would so love if they could give him something
before then and he could avoid that.

Thank you for posting this "HOPE"!

Estimated Enrollment: 6
Study Start Date: March 2010
Estimated Study Completion Date: July 2011
Estimated Primary Completion Date: May 2011 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure

They are doing this study on only 6 PALS?

I really hope that stem cell transplant would work at all cases. It brings hope and cure to people who need it most. Let us hope and pray that stem cell research and operations become really successful.

I understand the limted funding for this study, but only 6. How sad. :confused:

This research is going to be great. I was talking to a friend of Dr. Glass at Emory ALS Clinic and Emory will be conducting this study as well. Not sure how many PALS they are taking there but his friend says he is really hopeful about it along with his extended Rocephin trial he is currently involved with. Does anyone know how many facilities will be participating in this trial?

Kelly

my friend Maxine in Tenerife tries to be strong but deep down is worrying about her 5 year old daughter, is there really any hope here ?

I pray to my once estranged God that the research offers some hope

I understand the limted funding for this study, but only 6. How sad. :confused:

hi , total respect, my friend here in tenerife was diagnosed in october last year, she is trying really hard to keep her 5 year old daughter ok , but we all can see how hard it is ,
good luck friend let us all hope and pray
steve

Steve,

I'm really sorry about your friends diagnosis. This is truly a tragic disease, but just know as long as there are stubborn, determined, and over zealous pre-medical students like me there is always hope. My body is acting a fool right now and I am so young, but I try to think about the fact that there are research fanatics and hard headed do gooders out there maybe even worse than myself and that are further along in their medical education that are fighting to stand in the gap for me, for you, your friend, and all of our PALS. I spend my time on the phone and writing emails detailing my own research to anyone that will listen..lol..some don't but many do. Just know there are people who care and are out there fighting for advancement on this disease.

Dont let the emotionless doctors, that their daddy made them go to med school so that they could support their extended family, make you cynical. Put your hope and your prayers into students like me who work and pay their own tuition and constantly research and lose sleep and actually shed tears frustrated seeking the answers to save good people from this monster. And pray that the right doctors will listen and not be too proud to open their minds.

Sorry I am just so passionate about things. I am so excited about this trial simply because it is working wonders in trials for other pathological diseases.

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

Kelly

6 people and will end in 2011? I know, I know, but what the hell, who among us would not put ourselves up for it? I certainly would. Most Doctors tell me 10 years for stem cells. They may help but worry about tumors. Hell I said, at least tumors and cancer are treatable. Let me try!. But, really, hope it goes well. May not help us but hopefully the next generation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back