Diagnosis
03/2010
Country
Aus
State
NSW
City
Sydney
I am unfortunate to know three ALS sufferers in my life, the latest my father inlaw. I thought it very odd that his cat died of almost exactly the same symptoms six months before he was diagnosed.
It reminded me that the other two people I know both are cat lovers. Has anybody done a survey on what percentage of ALS sufferers own a cat?

I have two pussies, and we named them Tigger & Kahlua.

One furrocious feline named Charlie. A pain in the butt on four legs.

There is a cat in residence... technically he is my daughter's, but as I've had him since 2006..... I'm really attached to him at this point.

I've had cats all my life...The last cat I had ate my husband's contact lenses and pi$$ed in his brief case. My husband hates cats! He has ALS - I don't.

Last edited:
I think the question might have been better put as "Who is owned by a cat? :grin::grin:

hubbie's not really into animals. In spite of this he surprised me with a kitten (bengal, malel) 7 yrs ago (his first cat). So 1 bad a$$ feline for us :)

People keep dumping them out on our road! I have,now, four or five! I don't have a cat...but I they have my yard. I don't feed them they feed themselves...rats, chipmunks and I hate to say it, my they get one of my birds every now and then.

We live on 21 acres out on the woods....so they can eat when they want to!

chefdeborah

I think you are asking because your experience might suggest that something about close proximity with cats might be linked with ALS? I don't have ALS but do have an assortment of neurological complaints that remain of unknown origin. Just wanted to add that I have owned cats for 20+ years. Only recently my cats seem to suffer from all sorts of expensive ailments and are bleeding me dry.

Not til after DX for me.

Seems like alot of folks here are cat people, me I'm a dog owner; two westies.

I am just exploring a startling coincidence. There are not many diseases that can jump species so it is unlikely. Unless it is some sort of microscopic parasite. It is so frustrating that so little is known about the cause. Just thought I would throw the question out there.

okay look to the left.. Count me in.. Grew up with kittie kats. First one in twenty years, only a year ago.. Have always had a non-shedding dog..

Larry & I are owned by a 14 yr old Beagle & a 7 yr old cat,both are spoiled rotten.
Sharon

My parents have two Korat cats, and they love them soooooooo much! Those two cats, Gadspy and Daisy are more spoiled than most children I know. They are now in Arizona with my parents, I fly down next weekend, then my mom and I fly back to bring back the cats here, mom then the next day flies back to AZ and drives home with my dad. I am ORDERED to cat sit while my parents are driving. No, not just leave some cat food and go, I must stay with them. They have "Cocktail Hour" at 4pm sharp where I MUST lay a specific blanket in front of their fireplace and turn it on so they can bake themselves. Then 5pm sharp is dinner and I must mix 2 different flavors of cat food together. Last time I cat sat, I had to come home to bring my daughter something, and my dad called and "caught me home and not with his cats" and didnt want to talk to me for a full day because he was so upset. Not to mention when they leave if one of them is upset, I am ordered to drive the 30-40 miles to their home and play with them to make sure they are not upset! I love my dad, and do not want him stressing over his babies, so I drop anything and everything I can to take care of them. Oh Judy, I forgot to tell you, my husband hated cats until he met my bengals. They are a mans bad a** cat. He took Sanji with him everywhere, fishing, the convertable, walks etc... Gotta love the bengals!.....HUGS ALL!.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back