Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
uk
State
north yorkshire
City
york
Hi everyone, my mother-in-law has been taking co-codamol every4 hours for the last month , she has become very constipated not having a bowel movement for 2 weeks at least. I have been getting her to take lactulose solution every morning and evening but to no avail. She is now in real pain from it. she doesn't want the doctor calling but i feel i should. Thanks for any help xx

Does she have a feeding tube? I put prune juice in my hubbys tube a couple times a day...and ground up colace. We have gone through the constipation thing and it was absolutely horrible. I would definitely call the Dr...that is a long time not to have a movement. Oh, when we got into real binds we had to use enemas and glycerin suppositories. Not the most pleasant experience for anyone involved..but relieves alot of pressure in the end. Good Luck.

You do need to call the doctor asap as it is to the point of being dangerous. He likely will recommend an enema, but you need to consult with him right away. When you resolve the current situation, you need to talk to him about stool softeners and laxatives and when to use a fleet enema in the future. Good luck.
Laurel

2 Weeks? She needs to see a Doctor! Mirralax is the best!

Many thanks for all your answers. No she has'nt got the PEG fitted yet but it is time , she just does not want to give in yet athough I am trying along with her OT etc to get her to have it done soon, hopefully she will agree as i know it will be a great help to her. We have had some sucsess lately as she has agreed to having a lovely new bed which has been such a help to her. and she has now agreed to have a care person to shower her twice a week. She is so frightened of doctors and hospitals bless her. Thank you again everyone barbara x

ooops forgot to say that i will getin touch with her Doctor tomorrow re the constipation.

Oh boy, I know this has been going on for a while, but you have to watch out for impacted bowel, and that can end up with a trip to the ER. She must be terribly uncomfortable. In the mean time remember lots and lots of water and I would try an enema at least. At the doctors after you get her back on track, ask the doctor if a prescription for Amitiza would be okay for her. It is the only thing that has worked for me as I take a lot of pain meds and constipation used to be a huge problem until I got the script for that. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back