Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
Wa.
City
Puyallup
Hi Guys, Well it seems ALS is getting a lot more play on regular TV these days which is a GREAT thing. (If they would get it right that is) One of the characters who is on and off the show (Naomi's boyfriend and everyone's boss) has ALS and they were trying to approve a new treatment quickly without all the red tape required here in the US. The character dropped a cup and in another scene he could not open a jar. He finally admitted secretly to a co-worker that he had ALS and was diagnosed 8 YEARS ago and has been in REMISSION until now. Wow, wish the disease really did go like that. They briefly went over what ALS does and some natural treatments. (that they said so quickly you could'nt even hear what they said) The PALS on the show wanted this drug trial to push though quickly to find a cure. (sure like they are the only ones with any ideas and they would be able to quickly find a miracle cure).....sigh....Well I hope they get it right in the future and at the very least they bring more awareness out there about ALS! Its on Thursdays on ABC. Hugs to ALL....Kari

Oh well, at least the PALS didn't want to kill himself this time. OY! I would love to have ALS for 8 years if my biggest problem was not being able to open jars! Too bad life is not like TV. :) Thanks for the tip Kari, I will look for the episode. Jen

ARGGGGGG! I hate TV!

What p***** me off was the comment "that you die from drowning in your own body fluids"! Where do you they get this stuff?! :?

I guess that's what they call "creative license".

I think they were referring to pneumonia, but they could have certainly had a more tactful way of putting it!

What was the treatment they were talking about?

anybody like the show? I thought it brought the subject out and what was the treatment they mentioned? Anyone?

Why is no one talking? I am doing this wrong. I liked the old format for reading. Anyone like Private Practie? What was the treatment?

Hope, I didn't see the show so I can't answer your question but I'm sure someone will soon if they know. I can't imagine it be a real treatment anyway given that the treatment that ALS has received on TV.

You aren't doing anything wrong, this forum isn't a live chat so wait a bit and someone will reply.

Last edited:
the only way we are likley to drown in our own body fluids is when we cfall in the loo.

LOve, death, isex, llness are never ever like real life on TV. It is just a show, so I souldnt bother too much about any recommendation they make there. I have written books in my time. To research, say, a death, I would telephone the local coroner and he would tell the signs in such and such a case and that was it. And TV shows are even fasqter. tHEY ARE unlikely to take the time to research every reality for every character.

I think

I am often wrong - well, nearly often

Love to all

First of all, hi Hope, and welcome to our forum. The show is on again tonight, so it will be interesting what they say about ALS this time. I wouldnt hold your breath on them talking about legitimate treatments, they cannot even get the description of the disease right! They did talk about treatments, but it was said so fast, (and I even rewound it) that you couldnt understand it. I am just happy that ALS is getting some sort of notice on national TV.
Hugs, Blubear

Funny - I was just watching Private Practice and thought, 'I'm going to see if anyone else noticed a couple of weeks ago that one of their characters has ALS.' The I saw that Blubear beat me to the punch. LOL. Don't know if anyone watches it but "Mercy" (Wednesday's on NBC) also recently had a repeating character that had ALS. I just thought it was interesting that ALS, whether or not they get it right, is becoming a recurring storyline in in medical dramas.

I watch it every week love the show ,this week he is in Switzerland & Naomi just found out & is going there.

Yea, I watched it again last night. Maybe Naomi is going there to break up with him and that will be the last we see of him? I hope not. Even though they dont have the correct symptoms down for ALS, I like to see it out in the mainstream TV. I didnt like the way the one guy stated that the man is "dying"....made him sound like he has one foot in the grave and another on a banana peel.

I don't normally watch Private Practice and hadn't heard about this character. I did hear about the Mercy episode, however. It is great to get ALS out in the mainstream vocabulary. Sadly, the quickest way to do that in the U.S. anyway, is through television.

I did befriend ALS Guardian Angels on my facebook page and recently noticed several friends saw my tag and befriended them also. It was shockingly pleasing to see an acquaintance campaigning for "Rock for ALS." What a sweet surprise that was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back