Reason
Friend was DX
Country
US
State
NC
City
Atkinson
Hey, I am new to this forum. I have a friend with ALS. October will make 3 years he's had ALS. I have known him for a little over 2 years and yes their are emotional feelings involved. He did not tell me about him having ALS until a year ago. It was very tough for about 2 weeks crying spells, etc. I have never known anyone w/ a life threatening disease. So that was tough grasping especially since he is soooo young. He is now 32 years old & I am 24. Since he has told me (1 yr ago) he is now using a wheelchair. He will walk w/ someone by his side due to falls & balance. He told me yesterday that his doctor wants him to have a feeding tube. This was a shock & of course the tears came. I wish I could hold them back in front of him because he was of course depressed enough. I just didn't understand because he eats now & so far has not had any chocking spells. I did go on the net & read that doctors feel it's safer to administer a feeding tube before breathing gets weaker. So after reading that it made me feel better.

I don't really have any questions. I just registered to this for support & ideas from others.

Thanks & sorry so long but I am a very detailed writer!:-D

Hi Jess. Welcome. A feeding tube is not as scary as it sounds. This is a pretty good place for information. We're not doctors so we're not too technical and we're good listeners too. Sorry about your friend. Glad you found us though.

jess4t said:
Hey, I am new to this forum. I have a friend with ALS. October will make 3 years he's had ALS. I have known him for a little over 2 years and yes their are emotional feelings involved. He did not tell me about him having ALS until a year ago. It was very tough for about 2 weeks crying spells, etc. I have never known anyone w/ a life threatening disease. So that was tough grasping especially since he is soooo young. He is now 32 years old & I am 24. Since he has told me (1 yr ago) he is now using a wheelchair. He will walk w/ someone by his side due to falls & balance. He told me yesterday that his doctor wants him to have a feeding tube. This was a shock & of course the tears came. I wish I could hold them back in front of him because he was of course depressed enough. I just didn't understand because he eats now & so far has not had any chocking spells. I did go on the net & read that doctors feel it's safer to administer a feeding tube before breathing gets weaker. So after reading that it made me feel better.

I don't really have any questions. I just registered to this for support & ideas from others.
So this is so long

Hello,
So very sorry you have a need to be here. As Al said you'll find alot of good support here. I do wish he would have told you about his disease before you started caring for him. But he probably thought you wouldn't give him a chance if you knew. You see i have thought about that myself. I am widowed and have had several offers ,, everything from a casual relationship,, to marriage proposals. I just can't find it in myself to do that to another person. So i tell them the reason why,, in most of the cases i never hear from them again. So he is lucky that you have stuck around.

Best wishes to you both.

Love and Prayers
Marlo

Al,

Thanks that helps ease my mind. I am also glad I found ya'll too!

Mario,

Thanks, I can see already that this will be a great support for me! I am sure he didn't think I would have stuck around & I can understand where he was coming from by not telling me. He has made remarks that he doesn't want to be a burden to me. If I were in his shoes I would feel the same way I'm sure. I hope the best for you as well. I hope to learn more about this disease & how to help him as well.

God Bless,

Jess

jess4t said:
Mario,

Thanks, I can see already that this will be a great support for me! I am sure he didn't think I would have stuck around & I can understand where he was coming from by not telling me. He has made remarks that he doesn't want to be a burden to me. If I were in his shoes I would feel the same way I'm sure. I hope the best for you as well. I hope to learn more about this disease & how to help him as well.

God Bless,

Jess

Hi Jess,

I'm sure that was his reasoning behind the not telling you and i do understand it. But as the disease progesses we tend to not want to be a burden to our loved ones. Unfortunately when feelings get involved ,, it's not so easy to just walk away.

And very fortunately for him,,, it sounds like you are one of the good ones,, that stay , support ,, and love us till the end. May God bless you both.

Love and Prayers
Marlo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back