US
State
NJ
City
Bergen County
FRONTLINE The Suicide Tourist

"A story of struggling to live ... and deciding when to die."

The Suicide Tourist | FRONTLINE | PBS Video

or here (for Canadians): http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/suicidetourist/view/?utm_campaig

Below is the first part of the documentary only, use the links above to watch the full documentary.

YouTube- FRONTLINE | "Suicide Tourist" Clip | PBS

Not making any judgments about this story, (I’m not planning suicide) I found it to be one of the more realistic portrayals dealing with ALS on TV.

Far better than the Hollywood, Mandy Patamkin show.

The PBS episode should be on your local USA affiliate some time soon. Click on web address above to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
well.. I didn't get past the intro.

Got the "We're sorry, but this video is not available in your region due to rights restriction" message. Maybe that is a good thing.

Barry.. intro is patient with apparent full loss of arm use, some minor use of legs, full time bipap but obviously very clear mentally.. choosing assisted suicide. Opens up a whole can o' worms that I for one am definitly not up to dealing with this morning!

K that did not brighten my day AT ALL! I watched it all the way to the end, somehow trying to come to grips with what my dad may choose. His wife was so STRONG, my God, what a woman. Personally, that man to me still had a lot of life left. He was not bedridden, he could still talk, drink and stand for a short period of time. Although I am not in his shoes, and only he can make that decision to die, I respect his decision because he was right about how he would have died without man made assistance such as the ventilator, so I do not consider this suicide, but actually letting nature take its course without suffering more.

It was interesting, but it seemed a bit early for this guy to do "it". I think I would have to be in far worse shape before I could do it.

This was definitely not a story for many people.

Yet how many times have we seen ALS so strongly associated with giving up, the inevitability of – even the equivocation with death.

I agree his wife was a strong but loving person but I also thought the husband was also. At least he was bright enough to insist his kids NOT be there to witness it.

I wasn't sure the moderators would post this entry because this is not what this forum is all about, people struggling to LIVE with ALS and dealing with the everyday problems, their incremental, scary and challenging problems

I think there are some people better disposed at doing this that are living life no matter their problems.

While it may appear sexist to say this in the 21st century, I think men especially older men have a greater difficulty adjusting to, even witnessing sickness or a lifestyle anything less than their previous healthy one. I seen men who want even go into a nursing home or talk about being in them

As this couple stated, they had a very happy and fulfilling professional lives, maybe anything less was unacceptable

I definitely would not have approved it as I see things much differently than most. But I definitely find myself in the minority.

I just finished watching the video and have to say that I agree it should be the decision of each individual to decide when they have had enough and it is time to face the end. I don't know how I will feel when I can no longer take care of my own personal rituals. I do not want to have to have someone care for me. I don't think it is fair to me or to another to have to give up their life to do everything for me. But, I am not there yet so I am certainly not saying I won't change my mind. I can no longer speak and eating and drinking is very very minimal. I am having trouble excepting this stage and can't imagine what I will feel as paralysis sets in. I have a feeding tube and have made my wishes known to my family. I will be the one to decide when the tube feedings stop. Everyone accepts this and will respect my wishes. I respect the decision of anyone who has this disease to either choose to end it or who choose to fight it until the very end. Not everyone has the same living circumstances as others and I don't think any of us can speak for another.
So, just my thoughts.
NancyS

Got the "We're sorry, but this video is not available in your region due to rights restriction" message. Maybe that is a good thing.

Barry, we were saved by Can Con. :)

Jodi, I think you are right and I am glad for it cause I don't want or need to see it.

Not everyone has the same living circumstances as others and I don't think any of us can speak for another.
So, just my thoughts.
NancyS

Yeah, I don't have many options. No kids, Parents are too old, And don't want to trouble my sister. I have had a wonderfull life, so even though it may end early. I don't feel like I am being robbed too much. I don't know what I am going to do. I will worry when I get there.

I'm having a very hard time processing what I just saw.

Yeah, I don't have many options. No kids, Parents are too old, And don't want to trouble my sister. I have had a wonderfull life, so even though it may end early. I don't feel like I am being robbed too much. I don't know what I am going to do. I will worry when I get there.

I am praying for you Phil.

Have you contacted the MDA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back