jamorel

Distinguished member
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Calgary
I found this interesting... it came across my desk this morning and I thought I should pass it along.

Taken from Haaretz.com (Haaretz is Israel's leading daily newspaper owned by the International Tribune)

BrainStorm, Hadassah seal deal for trials of Lou Gehrig treatment

By Michael Rochvarger

The biotechnology firm BrainStorm inked an agreement over the weekend with the Hadassah Medical Organization's technology transfer firm, Hadasit, to conduct joint clinical trials on treatments for patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig's disease.

The deal was concluded after an in-house committee at Hadassah Medical Center approved the proposed trials on humans. The trials however remain pending on approval from a Health Ministry committee that vets clinical trials on humans.

BrainStorm is controlled by Chabadnik businessman Chaim Lebovits.

By virtue of the deal between BrainStorm and Hadasit, Hadassah will put its top experts in neurology and stem cell science at BrainStorm's disposal.

BrainStorm, in turn, will pick up NIS 5 million of the cost of the clinical trials, which follow satisfactory testing on laboratory animals based on a patented process through which stem cells from the patient's own bone marrow are treated and turned into nerve cells in the laboratory. They are then injected back into the ALS patient.

The developers of the process hope to show that they can delay and even halt the progress of the disease through this treatment.

Stem cell medical developments are a major new frontier for the international medical community, providing the promise of the greatest breakthroughs in the treatment of disease since the development of antibiotics. Success for BrainStorm in developing a treatment for ALS is expected to open the door for the company to a $1 billion market. BrainStorm is trading in New York at a market cap of $30 million.

Since the latest paraclinical testing of its ALS treatment method began last September, the company's stock price has shot up by 600%.

Yep, we just need to keep our fingers crossed, and do some praying that it wont take to long to come out with something positive!

Finger and toes! But I am very happy to hear something positive with some serious medical and business backing. That makes me smile!:p

Yep, we just need to keep our fingers crossed, and do some praying that it wont take to long to come out with something positive!

geee....I was thinking that I wish that I HAD MONEY TO INVEST! It is always about whether they can MAKE MONEY!

This is very exciting news.

Praying for a miracle!

Thanks for the post, jamorel. From what I've read, Brainstorm is anticipating approval of the trials from the Ministry of Health in the coming weeks. The trials should go faster over in Israel. Hopefully, they will be successful in really slowing down the disease or stopping it all together and restoring some functionality in patients.

Time for me to start thinking about doing some fundraising in anticipation (hopefully) of receiving treatments over in Israel! :D

Yup! I agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back