Diagnosis
01/2010
Country
US
State
MD
City
Havre de Grace
My husband was extremely active and athletic his entire life. This is the first time I've read anything about a link to high level of activity and MND. Has anyone heard of this? I was reading an article today and was surprised to read the following:

An excerpt from the article:

"Professor Shaw, who is director of the Sheffield Care and Research Centre for Motor Neurone Disorders, says: 'Many neurologists have a feeling it is very active people who get MND and there are current research programmes investigating the link between high levels of physical activity and the development of MND.'
Studies in Italy show that there is a seven times higher incidence of MND in professional footballers than would be expected in young men."

Yes, a lot of us have remarked that we were sportsmen or women and that the numbers are definitely higher than one would expect. Though some experts make the connection between treatment of playing fields with chemicals, there are many like myself whose sports did NOT involve this danger. So that the physical side is definitely an interesting starting point. I have read a theory that a gene for extra physical prowess could exist along with a gene for the illness. Cannot understnad why no-one really takes th_is up and runs with it.........

For 3 years prior to my Dad develping the ALS symptoms he was working out for 3 years really really hard.

About 6 days a week for 1-2 hours a day.

I originally thought he had hurt himself working out.

The activity thing has been a question since Iron Man Lou had this disease. Add me to the really active.. Fitness instructor for 20 years..

I have worked some very tough schedules during my 20 year career in the navy and pulled a lot of back-to-back shift work (working 2 jobs) after my navy days. I think this has contributed to any predisposition to my having PLS.

Lou Gehrig, they called him the "Iron Horse" I believe.

He set and held a record for most consecutive games played in baseball. The record wasn't broken until several decades later (I forget who broke it...)

Lou Gehrig, they called him the "Iron Horse" I believe.

He set and held a record for most consecutive games played in baseball. The record wasn't broken until several decades later (I forget who broke it...)

Oh I got ya. I knew that. Duh!

Cal Ripken Jr. broke his record.

It is amazing how many super active people get ALS!

My husband played competitive sports his entire life. Starting with baseball from little league through college, followed by tennis on the local AAA circuit, then golf. Always mixed with heavy workout schedule and running 5 miles, 5x week. He was a fitness nut and also ate well and took care of himself. He was never sick a day in his life....not even a cold. At 55 he had a body of someone 20 yrs younger. He is now 60.

My hubby was a serious "workoutaholic". It was the way he relieved stress. He played football, rugby, ran diligently, lifted, and loved to ride. He also worked crazy hours and traveled the globe. I also have to mention..he is a great guy!

Joy started running... half marathons and training for full when her she started to experience numbing in her leg. She was only running for about two years and training quite seriously. She is 50 years old.

i was lifting weights n exercising and i thought i had pull a muscle

Well I am glad I read this thread! It's raining this afternoon and I just don't feel like going to the gym. My mother has ALS, not me, but now I feel entirely justified in sitting at home reading through this Board and not getting out there on the treadmill!

Seriously though - there seem to be a number of common threads and patterns of people who get ALS. Military, fit/active, genetic and so on . . . one day someone will crack the code. I know that many of us would just love to know WHY even if that doesn't lead to any better treatment in time for us or for our loved ones. It would be just great to have some answers. Presumably prevention could then follow, and maybe at some point some cures or treatment.

sesl

Joy started running... half marathons and training for full when her she started to experience numbing in her leg. She was only running for about two years and training quite seriously. She is 50 years old.

I too just started a running program and plan to run my first 5k in May. I am not going to let this "little" statistic get in my way. I want to do this to honor my husband and anyone else out there who is no longer able to be "active" in their life due to illness. I have a perfectly "good" body and want to put it to good use.

In fact my first 5k will be for ALS in Baltimore on May 1.

Good luck with the 5K Judie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back