Diagnosis
07/2009
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Jose
Hi all. So... Glen's neuro is out of town until next week. He has two new symptoms, one expected and one not so much. He's fallen twice in the past few days. They've been tweaking his psych meds so I'm not terribly surprised.

He's also taken to grinding his teeth. Loudly. And constantly. If I point out he's doing it, he'll stop for .. oh... a few seconds, then starts up again. Anyone ever run into this? Any suggestions other than rum and earplugs.... for ME!?!?

not grinding yet - but my teeth are constantly clenched as though my life depends on it. Force myself to relax but does not last. You can get from your dentist a little apparatus to stop from grinding your teeth while asleep. That might help a bit...........
Isn't this fun!

Katie,
My teeth will grind every so often. I would say check his psych meds for side effects. I sounds like he has developed a tic from them. He may need something like cogentin to counteract them or a different medication. I do not think it is directly because of als.
Judy

Thanks Judy... will send an e-mail to the psychiatrist tomorrow and see if she has any suggestions. The combo conditions strike again. Oy.

I don't know if I am grinding my teeth but I am quivering and in the morning I can tell I have cllench tight. L

My mother grinds her teeth. Her neuro suggested she get a mouthguard (just the kind you get at the pharmacy and mould yourself using hot water). He's worried she might crack her teeth if she grinds too hard.

sesl

Katie...I actually posted something on the caregiver page about my mom grinding her teeth. It is HORRIBLE! We use a mouth guard for her (just one that a football player would use) and it helps until she spits it out. We have also been told to give her the cough medicine Delsym. Not sure how much it works as she has been taking it from the beginning of her grinding...may help but dont really want to stop it to find out it may be worse. She was put on muscle relaxers for it but it made her sleep about 18 hrs a day and when she was awake she was kind of "out of it". If anyone finds out anything different please let me know. Not only does it send chills down my spine when she does it, I know it hurts her and gives her headaches.

Yeah, I think you really have to live with it to realize just how horrible it is! Glen's psychiatrist said his psych meds might need adjusting but to just keep an eye on him for now. I think she's trying to drum up business though because Kev and I are going INSANE with the constant squeaking grinding noise.

I don't grind (I don't think; hard to hear over my hubby's snoring) but when I wake up in the a.m. my jaw is clenched tight, and sore like it's been that way all night.

About twenty five years ago I was grinding my teeth in my sleep, which caused a tooth to die. I had to get a mouthguard made to fit my mouth and wear it at night, but I learned to stop the grinding (after telling the periodontist that of course my teeth are "together" when I sleep; aren't everyone's?) I also clenched my teeth during the day, and hadn't been aware of it. You really can learn to stop if you're made aware. If not, the jaw and the neck...are all apt to tighten.

Tajmom, have you ever worn earplugs at night? They make an amazing difference regarding the snoring sounds...

Never did the earplugs cause I wanted to be able to hear the kids if they called out at night. But now that I can't get up to help them anyway I should probably reconsider! :)

Oh, they help so much. Phil gets up at 5 and leaves the house at 6. I'd be awake listening to his frantic (he accomplishes a LOT) scurrying if I didn't have the earplugs. He can also watch TV without it bothering me, morning or night. As you said, when you can no longer get up, might as well sleep as well as possible.

Unfortunately.. you can learn to stop grinding if your brain is functioning properly. FTD complicates everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back