Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
PA
City
waynesboro
My MIL gets her cough assist on Monday. She has been struggling for quite awhile and finally decided it was time. I am so happy. I really hope it makes a difference for her. I know it is extremely hard to hear her struggle but to be in her shoes. She is such a strong person. She just lost her dog at the age of 14. We took her to the vets friday and she passed away saturday night. She is really taking this hard which makes dealing with the excess saliva, coughing even harder. What are your thoughts on cough assist machines?

I've never used one but most users say they really help once you get used to it.

AL.

Dad uses one every day, several times a day. For him, it's a great tool for managing phlegm build-up. I hope it's as effective for your MIL!

wife just got hers, we are trying to figure it out. 2 second inhale, then 2 second exhale; while I switch the control on the machine. She only actually coughed once after usage, mostly it just sucks saliva out of her mouth. We must be missing something somewhere

Barb (MIL) gets hers Monday I will let you know how she does.

Hi Josiemo2, Oh please give your MIL a hug from me! Losing a pet can be just as hard as losing a person. Especially if that pet has been there for you while you have been sick. My heart goes out to her! I was disabled at home for 6 years and my husband bought me a baby long haired dachshund, and my daughter already had a 2 year old short hair. Then my husband passed away. More depression. Now that I am back to work part time, I can barely pull myself away from my babies! I dont know if I would have gotten through all the hell I have been through without them. K now I am choked up.
Hugs, Kari

I do know how it is to lose a precious pet. I lost my doga few months ago. Hunter,a Golden retriever... He went with Rich like he always did. Rich would saddle up Doc and the three of them would take off . After he returned back home he laid down and passed away. He did go doing what he loved so that was a good thing. i miss that dog every day. Yes pets can mean sooooo much to us. Hugs, l

Update, well Barb got her cough assist yesterday and I was so surprised by her. She doesn't like masks and by the end of the day she did her 3 breaths of 5 by herself. Every time she used it she would look at me and laugh. I am so proud of her. Blubear, I will give her a hug from you tonight when I get home. Thank you all for the input.

So sorry your MIL lost her doggie. That is horrible, my 2 animals have been my buddies, they are constant loving companions. I hope that she continues to do well with the cough assist. You are an amazing DIL, and that is a special gift. When is her next clinic visit? Think about you guys often..

question: Is it ok to use the cough assist without having a suction machine? I am afraid that using it will bring up stuff that I cant get rid of on my own and we are paying 50 a month rental. Any suggestions?
NancyS

Hoping, thank you for your kind words. Her next appointment is March 3. I really believe they will suggest a bipap for her. In Dec. her breathing was at 58% and it seems like it has been going down between 10 and 12% between visits. Barb has faced this monster head on. She is truly unbelievable. She has handles this monster that faces her everyday better than she has loosing Angel (her dog). The gentleman that set up the cough assist was so nice to her. When is your next appointment? Nancy, they guy who delievered the cough assist said it is very helpful to have the suction machine because of what can come up. I would suggest getting a suction machine. Maybe your clinic has one in the loaner closet until you can get your own. Barb has had hers for awhile now and probably uses it 7 or 8 times a day. My thoughts and prayers are with each and everyone here. Josie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back