Diagnosis
10/2008
Country
CA
State
B.C.
City
Vancouver
I am experiencing ongoing constipation as a result of the Dilaudid (hydromorphone) that I am taking. Because it's a narcotic, constipation is one of Dilaudid's side effects. Therefore, because I am taking it every night for sleep and occasionally during the day for pain control, I am constantly combatting this side effect of constipation. To counteract it, I take Sennekot-S, Flush, Fibre pills, Stool Softeners, and Lactulose liquid and polyetheylene glycol 3350 powder (dissolved in a drink) and sometimes prune juice. And I still get constipated! Is anybody else experiencing constipation constantly as a result of narcotics, and if so, how are you managing?

Hi Deanne,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having these problems. There are so many challenges to overcome...

My dad has ALS and he is also on Dilaudid and pretty much all the other meds you are using to regulate the constipation... are you warming the prune juice? Apparently that will make it more effective. Are you able to swallow or do you have a feeding tube? Either way, make sure you are very hydrated. There is another product that my mom started giving my dad which seems to help. It's called Golyte and is a colon cleanser in powder form, available at our local pharmacy. It seems to work.

Best of luck!
Rosella

DEANNE.. My hubby has had constant constipation for about a year now. We found that 1-2 Tbsp in the AM &pm of mineral oil, plus 2 Tbsp of magnesium citrate every other day helps a lot. Milk of magnesia helps too. Lots of liquid is a key. The best thing we have found is.. don't be afraid to try anything you can think of. We were told that this is part of the 'beast' (ALS). Fiber and such only make his gas issues worse. Wishing you luck..

Well, I do have A LOT of experience with dilaudid, morphine, oxicontin, percocet, opana and methadone. (methadone helps the pain, but is the devil on your body - dont EVER take that!) I have severe arthritis and herniated dics. I have struggled for YEARS with the constipation, until my doc gave me a prescription for AMITIZA. I had already tried all the things you have been trying, but then when I got the Amitiza it literally fixed that problem. I have NO problems FINALLY anymore! Oh yes, water, water, and more water! Guess you could call me a water addict. I dont ever leave the house without my water bottle. Oh yes, and welcome to our forum!
Hugs, Blubear

Last edited by a moderator:
Mirralax keeps me flowing with no problem. You say you tried it though. You have to take it every day, don't stop, and if that didn't work, I would take it twice a day. I tried it all. Even the high dollar stuff. Mirralax is the only one that works for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back