Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Naperville
Hospice is only sending someone once a day to help Mom with Dad. ( She has been given a list of other helpers she can hire on her own, in addition. ) Of course, someone will come if there is a special need in the night or whatever, but is sending someone out only once a day the NORMAL thing with hospice?

Debbie

Debbie, I don't have a answer for you as I haven't gone to Hospice yet. I am certain that someone will be able to give you the correct information soon. I am so sorry. hugs, Kay Marie

Hi Debbie ,
Unfortunately that is the truth ! My mother had hospice and they are great . But I had a real hard time finding reliable help otherwise . Takes a very special person to be able to handle it . I was on my own many unexpected times that someone would not show up .
I do hope that is not the case with you . Take care hun and stay strong ! God bless ! Sandy

Oh, ok. I guess I was expecting *more from hospice. The people that have come have been very caring, according to my mother, and will come anytime they are needed for some kind of emergency. Dad has been doing a lot of sitting on the side of the bed lately and fell/slipped out of bed during the night. Mom placed a call and got a nurse and "a couple of paramedic guys" to come put Dad back in bed. ( Poor Dad doesn't remember anything at all of his night adventures. ) You are confirming that this is the kind of care hospice does. ( And does well. ) Mom is just going to have to hire other people to help in the mornings and late evenings when she is most needing it. Thank you for the replies.

Debbie

Debbie ,
I am so sorry if I upset you . did not mean to at all ! I was just expressing my experiance with hospice . They were heaven sent for me .
I brought my mom home with me and cared for her for 13 months . I went through many caretakers , that many times did not show.
Hospice was one of very few things I could count on ! They took very good care of my mom in the times they were there .

Sandy

Dear Debbie,
I'm so sorry your dad is in the place where hospice is needed! It's time to rally the extended friends/family to help your mom care for your dad and to find some additional caregivers.

You and they are in my prayers.

Peace,
Melody

You didn't upset me Sandy. I appreciated the clarification about what is "normal" with hospice. Mom says the people she's met thus far are extremely caring. I know they will be there in any emergency and am so very thankful that Mom ( and Dad ) finally have them. Mom now has someone to turn to and that means SO MUCH to me. I heard from one of my sisters tonight, saying that she and Mom interviewed a lady ( and hired her ) to come help Mom for a couple hours right before bedtime each night. Yay! The lady sounds just perfect! Hospice wants to hold a meeting for the whole family to discuss "the plan" so I will be going to Ohio as soon as a date is chosen. My sister said she thinks Dad understands that he is under hospice care, and what that "means", and that he looks sad. God, this is killing me. A fancy power chair is being ordered. My sister says she only hopes we can keep Dad breathing so he'll be able to use it when it comes.

Debbie

Debbie, thinking about you this evening and i will keep you in my prayers..sorry to hear that your Dad has progressed to this point. Thank goodness for Hospice care. I hope too that your Dad will be able to use his chair for a while yet. Hugs , Linda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back