Diagnosis
09/2009
Country
US
State
NV
City
Reno
We will be getting a hospital bed soon, but the burning pain my PALS gets from laying on his side is getting really bad. No sores yet, but he has to move every 15 minutes which is difficult for him to do, and he is not able to get much sleep. He has bad back pain, and can not lay on his back. We have a 3 inch memory foam pad, but he needs something else like pads for his sides. Any ideas? Thanks Lori

geeeee Lori, sorry to hear this. Doesn't he have back issues to begin with? Does he have tilt on his power wc? Maybe that would be more comfortable...I would hesitate on adding more "pads" as it may just lead to more skin issues from pressure. hugs, Kay Marie

Lori, do you have any sheepfleece he could have under him? Sheepskin Products | Sheepskin items and gifts from sheepskin, wool and silk.

Also, has he tried using a pillow under his knees while on his back? That makes a huge difference for me. You can get pillow covers made of wool fleece at the above site to cover any standard (or smaller) pillow so that the pillow itself doesn't cause a problem. The hospital bed should help. I developed the burning pain on one leg due to sleeping on my side. It had become numb long before pain was involved. Then the other side became numb also...I had to move onto my back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back