Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
Illinois
City
Naperville
I just heard from my mother and sisters that Dad is in their local hospital's ER. There was blood coming out of his PEG, at least 1000ccs. Mom had said that Dad was very lethargic the last day or two so now I realize this must have been because Dad was bleeding internally. Tests run so far indicate everything is "normal" so he is being sent to OSU in Columbus for further testing. Mom says they are waiting for an ambulance ( and an open bed at OSU ) to take Dad to Columbus. Does anyone have a clue as to what might be happening? Could one of his meds possibly cause stomach problems and maybe an ulcer formed and now is bleeding? He does take Rilutek but I don't know whether this affects the stomach? I'm sure I won't hear any more news until much later today but thought I'd turn to all of you for any ideas.

Debbie

sorry debbie that i have no words of wisdom, but i will go pray about the situation with your dad. take care sweetie.

Oh Deb I am so sorry to hear this news. He is at least in a hospital so they can figure out what is going on. If your heading home becareful of the snow storm.

You are all in my prayers
Judy

Oh Debbie! I'm so sorry! All I have to offer are my prayers. Keep me posted!

Peace,
Melody

Debbie, that is awful, please keep us posted about how he is doing. I am thinking ulcer (just a guess of course) and I have wondered about Rilutek. They say to take it in on an empty stomach for best effect but because I try my best to never have an empty stomach I just grind it up and take it with my morning and evening feed. I know that when I did take it by mouth it did strange things to my taste so it wouldn't surprise me at all if it caused stomach problems too.

Debbie-
Sorry to hear of your Dad's latest troubles. I'm sure he will be well cared for at OSU!

Dad is STILL WAITING at his local ER, for someone to call and say that a bed has opened up at OSU. I cannot believe that there is no bed for him there! Geez! They still hope for him to be transported to Columbus later tonight. He *is being monitored I guess but I still worry. There is nothing I can do but wait for news. The bleeding does explain why Mom said Dad had been lethargic the last day or two. But geez, we need to make that STOP!

Debbie

There is nothing more agonizing than to be waiting by the phone for some news/update of what if going on. Hang in there, Debbie!

Debbie,

I have no insight to offer but wanted you to know I am thinking of you.

Waiting is so frustrating but wait times in an ER are common, not right just common. I don't know what the weather is like in Columbus but in Louisville we have been hit with significant snow. Could the weather play a part in delaying the transfer from one facility to the next? Sometimes ambulances are used much more during bad weather for emergencies and they may be tied up? Also our hospital was having trouble discharging people safely thus a number of patients did not leave and free up the bed which causes a domino effect through ICU to the ER as well as transfers from other facilities. Hope you hear something soon.

Please keep us posted on how your Dad is doing.

I have no idea what the reason was that there was no bed available. There *is a lot of snow and travel is slow. Mom called a little bit ago to say that Dad is FINALLY at OSU. Mom followed the ambulance up and plans to spend the night at the hospital. She didn't know whether any tests would be conducted tonight or not. I made her promise to call me with any news. I feel better that at least he is there!

Debbie

Hi Debbie,
I'm so sorry to read about what your Dad is going through. I think Barry's guess about an ulcer is a good. There are few things associated with that amount of blood loss and the stomach that would be caused by something other than an ulcer. I have read of rare instances where the peg placement puts pressure on the opposite stomach wall causing an ulcer which can bleed, or the other scenario is an ulcer close to the button which forms from pressure. He should be safe with the care he gets in the ER as they are usually on their toes dealing with any sorts of bleeds. I would think a CT Scan or ultrasound should detect any problems with the peg placement. All the best to you and your Dad.
Laurel

Debbie, soooo sorry to hear this update on your Dad. Hope you have answers and good news today! I agree with the ulcer theory and also agree with laurel as I have read the same information. Web could not take the Rilutek because it upset his tummy so much. Sending you hugs!

Hi Debbie, just wanted to let you know I am thinking about you and your mom and dad... I hope they will find out soon what is causing his problems... Big Hugs, to you , Linda

Dad has had gastro esophageal reflux which caused an ulcer in his esophagus. I didn't get any more info than that but will call Mom later to see what she's being told regarding treatment and so forth. I did a little research online and am hopeful that strong antacids and keeping Dad upright more will take care of things. ( Sometimes surgery is needed to fix things and sometimes there are other "bad" conditions that come with this. ) Thanks for all the kind thoughts and prayers. Has anyone else getting tube feedings had this kind of thing happen?

Debbie

Dad has been moved to the ICU! He has a slight fever. Low CO2. Is being given oxygen and I THINK is also on BiPap. Wasn't an ulcer in the esophagus, but just "irritation". Docs had talked about doing a colonoscopy. Why, I don't know. Now, I have NO IDEA what's going on. I called Mom last night but she couldn't talk then and I had to go to work. Now I'll call today after visiting hours are done in the ICU and hope Mom can explain what's going on. ( She doesn't even remember it was ME who tried to call her last night...thought it was one of my sisters. Sigh. ) His ALS doc, who is right there in the OSU Hospital SOMEPLACE has not so much as popped his head in to say hello. ( My sister e-mailed him to tell him that one of his patients( Dad ) is there. ) What's with THAT? I want to make sure things aren't being done that shouldn't be done with an ALS patient, etc, etc. I am not too happy with this guy so far anyway. I am stressing out. Will call Mom in a couple hours and hope for info.

Debbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back