SMillheiser

Distinguished member
Country
US
State
california
City
san juan capistrano
Sharon was ALSGA's first volunteer. We wouldn't be where we are without her help. Over the weeks I noticed changes. She stopped walking,. Then stopped driving. I began having problems understanding her speech. She become so fatigued, I tol;d her to focus on herself, and regretfully reali...zed she had to stop helping us. I last saw her August '09. Her breathing became very labored. We spoke about venting frequently. She went to the hospital for the procedure. I was relieved. Then I got the following email from her friend. I eliminated most of it for space reasons.

"The decision to vent was sidelined as her family could not find a local facility that would handle " Accute Care " patients, under the terms of Medicare. Our caregiver group, which had been providing Sharon with Home Care, felt that they could not continue. Sharon decided that being sent to a facility out of town was not something she wanted. Her family decided that returning back home would not be goeod. The doctor gave her approx. 4 months and because her grandson resides in the home, it was decided that dying in his presence was not something anyone wanted. If you could spread this news to other ALS friends Sharon had correspondence with, I would be appreciative. Sharon was so thankful for the ties she made within the ALS farmily.

If you know Sharon, please let her know how much you care. She's at: Brookside Health Care, 105 Terracina Blvd., Redlands, Ca. 92373.

Thanks for the information Stu, I am sorry for the way that things have gone for Sharon. I will send a card too!

I have done much corresponding with her about life with a vent. I am distressed about this news! I will try to send a card.

Very sad news indeed. Thanks for letting us know Stu.

i to will send a card this is so sad

p.s.
i need her last name for the card please

td-

It is Caruthers.

thank you very much

This is so sad. I know one pals Rosa her young grandson lives and cared for at her home. There are many homes with children and pals that vent or Pals that die. I am so sorry Sharon can not fo on vent and get her care at home. We miss her

Keeping Sharon in my thoughts and Prayers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back